led/incandescent turn signals

smiles79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have led front turn signals and incandescent rear turn signals. Stock flasher unit doesn't seem to work. What kind of flasher unit do I need in this situation? The front turn signals I just had laying around, so that's why they are the only led ones.

Thanks

Hi smiles,
the XS650 stock flasher needs a full load (27W + 27W + 3W = 57W total) or it won't flash.
What Mr. Cheap swapped in after the stocker died and I found out the appalling replacement cost was an electronic 2-prong automotive flasher from NAPA at ~$10.
The 2-prong plugs into the stock 3-hole receptacle 2 ways; one works, t'other don't.
Downside is you lose the self-cancelling feature.
The self-canceller ONLY works with the stock flasher.
If you decide to go to all-LED signal lights some electronic flashers will work with that very small load and some won't. Best ask before you buy.

The flasher that is in it currently is aftermarket. So I just need to see what power it operates at, and must be less than 57W? I assume one that will work for an all led system should work for this since it will draw more power with the incandescent bulb, or are there problems when too much power is drawn?

Hi smiles,
sorry, Mr Stupid was assuming things again.
Did your aftermarket flasher ever work right, did the change coincide with something you did and what's it doing now, just staying on or not working at all?
FWIW, my aftermarket electronic flasher flashes at the same rate regardless of load.
Even when an incorrect hookup shorted it out it just pulsed at the same rate, for 4 clicks, then the fuse blew.

I put new led blinkers on the front, that was the change. I don't think they worked at all, but I may not have had a good ground. Hooking the blinker up directly to the battery, it lights up just fine.

Hi smiles,
if the front flashers work off the battery and the rear flashers work and the fronts don't on the bike, it's a hookup problem.
BTW, other posts tell me that LEDs only work one way round. Mebbe you got them connected wrong?

Well apparently when I put a new flasher in when I had all incandescent bulbs, I got picked one that works with front leds. Happy coincidence!

When replacing incandescent for LED you are reducing the resistance drastically.
I normally add in line resistors to compensate. That way they are easily removed if you want to return to stock.

You can work out the resistor required by getting the Ohm resistance and Wattage

For example a standard bulb is 12v 21w

Firstly work out the Current (A)

A=W/V - 21/12= 1.75A

Then work out the resistance

R=V/A - 12/1.75 = 6.8 ohm

Therefore the resistor you'll need for each bulb is 6.8 ohm / 21w

Back