LED tail light resistor question

tkurt

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I tried a CAN-BUS LED 1157 type bulb in my tail light but it only works when the brake is applied, but not as a tail light.

What kind of resistor is needed to get either a regular led tail-light, or a CAN-BUS type light, to work in a stock 77 xs650 (i.e. original alternator with good charging/voltage)?

I was checking out these 50W 6ohm resistors:

http://www.amazon.com/Resistors-Signal-License-Warning-Cancellor/dp/B004EDF8HY

thanks

does your tail light work with a regular 1157? putting a resister in with a LED is not gaining any thing (take bulb resistance out, put resister back in):banghead: are you starting the engine to get the headlight to come on? same circuit as the tail light, won't come on until engine starts

the tail light works fine with a regular 1157, but the filament keeps blowing - probably b/c of the vibration. I got sick of replacing bulbs and decided to use an LED, so I wasn't really interested in saving power by making this switch.

When I put in a regular non- CAN-BUS led light it flashes and my warning light flashes as if there is blown bulb, because I think the resistance is so low. So, I was going to try a resistor but went with the "plug & play" can-bus bulb instead, however it is also giving me problems...

OK thanks guys. This makes me think I need to get out the multimeter and double check the running light wires.

Right on scabber, bad bulb. 2 broken from vibration. I won't be buying again. Instead I made some gaskets from high density foam to dampen the tail light vibrations, seems ok so far!

>When I put in a regular non- CAN-BUS led light it flashes and my
>warning light flashes as if there is blown bulb, because I think the resistance is so low

Say, tkurt, had you thought about trying an electronic flasher module instead of the stock bimetallic strip kind? You can get them at Autozone and other car parts stores and the flash rate is set by the electronics in the circuit rather than the time it takes to heat up the strip in the old style flasher.

Vibration damping helps, too, for sure.

jbbishop-
I thought about trying an electronic flasher but ended up buying a higher quality can-bus 1157 with a stock-type socket, I think I got it at O'Reilly's autoparts. It cost a little more but it lights up correctly and has not broken after several months of daily use, unlike the cheaper ones I'd tried. There may be better fixes, but this is working well for me :)

rezsst-
I think the taillight assembly is great way to go if you find something you like.

Back