LED turn signals not blinking

bbancsov

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I know this has bean beaten to death but i shall ask anyway since i searched and could not find my answer. I have LED turn signals, front and a LED integrated tail light/turn signals in the back. I had them hooked up and the turn signals when activated would just stay on. So when left was activated left stayed on (F&R) same with the right signals. I just purchased a 552 relay which i though would solve it but it hasnt. Any ideas on what i should try next?

I'm not sure what a 522 relay is but I know to fix your issue you can either get an electronic blinker relay at any auto parts place or get load equilizers for each power line. I usually go with electronic blinker for about $6.

The 552 won't work, you need a flasher that's for LED's. I've tried some electronic flashers that didn't work. You can add load resistors but that defeats the purpose of using LED's (lower power draw). Most places that sell LED's have the flashers to go with them. Do a search, plenty of info on this subject.

You'll need a flasher specifically for LED signals. LED's draw very little power and do not use enough electricty to activate the 552's circut. I even have an LED flasher, and it wont even cycle with my LED signals. I will need to wire in one incandesent bulb to complete the circuit.

Just give them a call ( remember how we used to do it?):D

Wiring diagram is there. Two wires, one to power, the other to the switch.

I did this on a honda shadow, Go to autozone and find an electronic flasher it was like 6 bucks. Just bring your stock one and find one that is plug and play to that. Can't hurt to try right?

I bought a 552 relay because that was recommended. I already ordered the LF1-S-PIN flasher from v-leds.com so i'll let you guys know if that solves my issue when i get it!

Looked all around today, no stores had them so i guess i'll have to wait for the one i ordered. I'm pretty sure i blew a fuse though. Where is the lighting fuse located on a 79 special? I'm coming from a sportbike and not used to this old wiring, no fuse box or anything...

Do you have a service manual for your bike? If not, I suggest you get one. It will save you a ton of grief. Questions like this can be easily answered with the turn of a few pages.

The '79 Special I'm working on has 4 fuses, located in a plastic black box that rests on top of the battery cover. The two brass boxes are the safety and lighting relays.

+100 on what Pregrid said

I have a clymer manual which is extremely vague.

hmusket: This is starting to worry me now, i don't have a fuse box on top of the battery box... Can you provide a diagram or picture of it's location?

Back