LEFT CYLINDER HT LEAD is ARCHING to my LEG - OUCH!

ANLAF

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Fellers, I have just finished a three day tour of Wales with 60 other guys, a charity event. The Flying Banana made it the 575 miles up and over the mountains and back safely. The week before I left I did the cam chain, valve clearances, re-did the Boyer ignition, cleaned the carbs, cleaned the plugs and re-set the gap, and oh! yes, I put a replacement little 10 mm bolt into the false oil tank - that thing holds some important electrical stuff in there (coil, digital electrical unit, and a kill switch). Went to start the bike for the big ride, and it felt like it was out of time, so I advanced a pinch more. Better, but when I hit 50 mph it popped away and generally didn't like being pushed. That kept me slow all the ride, but I got there.
Now I'm back I retraced my steps including doing the whole procedure again, and checked the plug caps, took them off, snipped a 1/4 inch of cable and re-set the caps. Fired straight away - then OUCH! I got a bolt from the left HT lead.

Is this a simple replace a faulty lead or should I look out for something else, too that I can test for.

I have a feeling that when replacing that 10 mm bolt in the false oil tank it could be that I nipped one of those HT leads.

Any pointers, fellers?

ANLAF

I've had a similar issue whereby I had an annoying misfire and dying engine. Eventually, threw the old leads away and replaced - problem solved.
Over time and depending on the environmental conditions, this can be a short time, leads do breakdown and "leak" sparks, normally to the engine case but in this instance to your leg!

Thanks Paulr, looks like new HT leads then. I just noticed a dent or pinch near the cap. I might have trapped that somewhere doing the servicing. Well, there we are - new leads. EBay here I come.

ANLAF

You can use automotive plug wire from any auto parts store. Just make sure it's the 7mm diameter stuff and has a wire core, not the carbon cotton resistor core. You want plain wire, not resistor stuff. I use VW Beetle wire .....

EMPIPlugWire.jpg

Back