left exhaust running hot

When I took the carbs apart to do some checks and cleaning one of the main jets didn't have a washer and both mixture screws were missing the o-rings and washers. I decided to do a rebuild and ordered the parts on mikes. After the rebuild the bike won't start with the choke pulled out, but it will start with it in. After riding for about 10 minutes it died, started back up, but died again after giving it some throttle. It seems like flooding, but being a newbie I don't really know. I did the float level checks (via clear tube and drain screw) and if anything both bowls appear on the lower side. Any one have recommendations?

-both mixture screws set to 3 turns
-syncing using homemade tool mentioned on the bs34 guide on this site

thanks for any help

If you place an order, it's best to get several items. Order just one thing and the shipping kills the deal. Something else you might consider are o-rings for the cam chain adjuster cap nut. Mike's gets a few dollars for one, for not much more you can have a whole bagful. For some reason, this o-ring seems to wear quickly. Probably because it doesn't protrude much from the cap nut. It doesn't take long for it to flatten out a little and start leaking. There happens to be an American size that fits perfectly - 13/16" I.D. X 1" O.D. X 3/32" thick. I change mine pretty much every season.

Mike's also has a little kit to replace the pilot jet screw o-ring and washer with a replacement plug for the one I drilled out. I was wondering if there would be opportunity for "crap" to get into that hole if it was left empty but I don't feel like putting something I need to drill out again. Is there any removable cap like a screw that might engage the sides with enough tension to stay in the hole but would be removable? I don't know what the hole size is exactly yet but a person could even tap down like 3/16" with some threads maybe. What is your experience with this?

On the BS34's some poeple fill the tower over the idle mix screw with grease. This keeps crud out and is easily removed when needed.
Leo

Back