left side cutting out

newby79

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
so after the carbs being out apart three times. lots of wire investigation my bike (79 xs650sf) was running great went on a short 20 mile ride and bike did not want to stay running at stop lights. so after getting back to my house and pulling each plug wire when i pull right plug wire bike does not want to run. bike is basically all stock bs38 carbs which were synched using vacuum gauges and ran great for first ten miles . napa inline fuel filters . any ideas?

Having had the carbs in and out 3 times. means you are not zeroing in on the right areas. It may not be carbs at all................have you tried new spark plugs? If you still have the old stock ignition coils/points, I would replace with new single coil/new spark plug wires. Is the spark blue or yellow?

As I mentioned in your previous thread, vacuum gauges are not accurate for syncing. Did you ever do the sync with a piece of paper as I suggested (followed with a "U-tube manometer)? Did you ever do the "dead cylinder" method to adjust the mixture screws?

Each time you remove the carbs, are the pilot jets completely clear?

yes jets seems to be clear also did do the dead cylinder method and bike was running great for a few rides then just started this left side thing. plugs and wires are new coils are newer but maybe i should try single coil. but what is confusing is why it would all seem to be dead on then just have these issues now bike wont even idle so diagnosing is tough

The left coil may be showing its age, OK when cold but starts failing when hot. Are the points clean..............use a little contact cleaner on a piece of paper to drag through the points.

good now. did have problems with it for awhile but worked it out charges great. most of the problems were loose bad connections

Back