Leslie's Tracker Build

Crickey,,

seems a bit minimal, so it is mainly wiring up to the handlebars then an earth and a live to the motor.

I will be using the kicker, but i think it is worth including the wiring for a electric start for future use:wink2:

Leslie

A quick site search: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1131

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367

3) Compression - probably the #1 cause of problems with Barn finds and un restored bikes (once you get a new battery).......
These old bikes had pretty high compression, and most don’t retain it after years of inactivity - even low mileage bikes.
Beg, borrow, or steal the use of a compression gauge - only takes a minute to do.
Warm engine, throttle wide open, no choke. Take readings at both spark plug holes a couple of times.
If it won’t run, take the readings with a cold engine - generally only about 5 pounds or so less than a hot engine.
If the compression values are acceptable, resist any temptation to mess with the engine.

If the numbers are unsatisfactory, stop now, you have some serious problems. You are looking at a top end job, could cost you anywhere from $150-$300 or more, depending on what you find.
It is pointless to try and get the bike to run well; its not gonna happen, a waste of time and money.............
These are incredibly tough old engines - they will try and run for you no matter how bad they are, but don’t be fooled.
Examples of MINIMUM compression values before top end rebuild is indicated
under- 100 psi poor
100/125 psi good
125/150 psi excellent
both cylinders should be within 10% of each other

A quick site search: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1131

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367

3) Compression - probably the #1 cause of problems with Barn finds and un restored bikes (once you get a new battery).......
These old bikes had pretty high compression, and most don't retain it after years of inactivity - even low mileage bikes.
Beg, borrow, or steal the use of a compression gauge - only takes a minute to do.
Warm engine, throttle wide open, no choke. Take readings at both spark plug holes a couple of times.
If it won't run, take the readings with a cold engine - generally only about 5 pounds or so less than a hot engine.
If the compression values are acceptable, resist any temptation to mess with the engine.

If the numbers are unsatisfactory, stop now, you have some serious problems. You are looking at a top end job, could cost you anywhere from $150-$300 or more, depending on what you find.
It is pointless to try and get the bike to run well; its not gonna happen, a waste of time and money.............
These are incredibly tough old engines - they will try and run for you no matter how bad they are, but don't be fooled.
Examples of MINIMUM compression values before top end rebuild is indicated
under- 100 psi poor
100/125 psi good
125/150 psi excellent
both cylinders should be within 10% of each other

Racer,
sorry mate I carried out the test wrong.

I have re-done the test cold with the throttle wide open and got 165psi both sides

Leslie

Ey Up Lads,
has anyone got any of the component's as attached detail.

Part No: 15-16-17-18-19-20-21-22-23

and would want to sell if so please PM me with which parts and how much with delivery to the United Kingom Zip/Post Code NG22 9QA

STARTING_MOTOR_UNIT.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Leslie, wicked blue piping on that seat. Did Robert have that done for you or did you have it done after you received it? Looking really great!

Also with your start solenoid, make sure to run at least a 6ga wire from it to the starter motor. 4ga is thicker, but I've had no issues with 6ga.

Also, you should be able to check if your shorai is charging if it reads about 14V when revving around 3K. Should act like a normal battery. I drained mine doing electric tests and took it to a Honda dealer across the street to charge it up for me. I believe Shorai says as long as its not a charger with a 'de-sulfation mode'.

Leslie, wicked blue piping on that seat. Did Robert have that done for you or did you have it done after you received it? Looking really great!

Also with your start solenoid, make sure to run at least a 6ga wire from it to the starter motor. 4ga is thicker, but I've had no issues with 6ga.

Also, you should be able to check if your shorai is charging if it reads about 14V when revving around 3K. Should act like a normal battery. I drained mine doing electric tests and took it to a Honda dealer across the street to charge it up for me. I believe Shorai says as long as its not a charger with a 'de-sulfation mode'.

Thanks for the advise addict, a auto electrician has wired it up.

I am pathetic with electrickery :laugh:

Leslie

Addict the piping was done by a local upholsterer here in the United Kingdom glad you like it he charged me £20 and he shortened the seat at that as well to suit the XS750 Tank

Leslie

Addict the piping was done by a local upholsterer here in the United Kingdom glad you like it he charged me £20 and he shortened the seat at that as well to suit the XS750 Tank

I have purchased a Optimate lithium battery charger they are the dogs bollocks used one for years and they have never let me down.

Leslei

Lads,
I know my American cousins love their Harley Ferguson Motorcikle's :)

This is a friends who has carried out a brit style makeover I hope you Lads like it

NewarkandSherwood-20130608-00648.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Leslie

Leslie,

Do you know what those arrow cans originally came off of? They fit nice on the xs. Really like your build!

Back