Leslie's Tracker Build

Lads.
There is a bit of a debate on the UK forum on which helmet riders wear on their XS bikes.

I myself prefer the Arai or the Shoei sports helmet although I would like a Arai Dual sport X4 helmet in blue to wear on my Brit style tracker.

Leslie The Loyalist GBQEII

I think that is on the lower/mid side of passable?

Racer,
Finally found the smoking exhaust problem, says with "fingers crossed".

looks like the rear r/hand side intake valve guide was worn and loose.

I located a full set of valves and valve guides on eBay at NW Vintage Cycle parts of Portland Oregon in the US of A.

(Mark of NWVCP very helpful definitely a pint on the bar in the Royal Oak Edwinstowe if he ever comes to the United Kingdom)

So I will be getting all 4 guides pressed out and brand new genuine Yamaha OEM pressed in whilst the top half of the engine is in component parts.

Next ride her for a few hundred miles then get her on the DynoTune rolling road and get her running bang on

Leslie the ever optimistic :bike:

Lads I am taking my clutch out this week-end and bead blasting the metal plates and inspecting the friction plates.it has been slipping

I want to fit the heavy duty springs while I have the clutch in bits.

My Engine number is 3GO-0050** and it is a north American model XS650 G with TCi ignition

EBC are asking me what year it is and is it a SE, I get a 79-80 when I look the engine number up, can anyone tell me what year EBC springs to order.

Leslie

Odd..Ive never had clutch slip on a standard 650 & only a couple of times on my 750's & 840's:umm:
In the past Ive beefed up the springs by adding a washer on top of the spring - works a treat , much less hassle & ££ than stiffer springs!!:thumbsup:

Odd..Ive never had clutch slip on a standard 650 & only a couple of times on my 750's & 840's:umm:
In the past Ive beefed up the springs by adding a washer on top of the spring - works a treat , much less hassle & ££ than stiffer springs!!:thumbsup:

Thanks 61,
I had her on the Dyno at www.torquetune.co.uk this week and it was slipping bad , I have noticed it though whilst I have been riding around.

Leslie

Good tip, and how most folk did it, back in the day.

Due to the lack of availability of a alu box section swing arm for my tracker , I have decided to re-engineer a modern sports bike

swing arm and produce a direct replacement kit (photos to follow)

They will be very similar to the now defunct JMC, but due to copyright laws ;) nothing like a JMC swing arm the kit will include a

new rear wheel spindle bolt to suit the existing XS650 rear wheel it will be a direct fitment to a standard XS650 frame and

wheel but you will need to retain the existing swing arm pivot bolt

The wheel spindle is the same diameter and thread as an existing XS650 rear wheel spindle

Would anyone be interested in one of the kits for their bike as the more I produce the lower the cost.

Please note I will only be using aluminium swing arms with 316/304 stainless fittings the swing arms are all the same model from a 600 sports bike

Please PM for further information I will be doing them up to and over Christmas.Modify message

xsaliarm4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

xsaliarm5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

xsaliarm3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Leslie

The handling has to be an improvement, although the bike has not been built for racing and I have maintained the correct geometry and dimensions.

SWINGARM6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The new swing arm has not been weighed yet but should be a similar weight.

I am looking at producing up to 5 in total as a straight swop kit using the existing rear wheel but with a replacement rear wheel spindle (304 stainless steel) to suit the ali arm the same diameter as the OEM spindle and using the OEM spindle nut so you do not need to change any bearings.

Leslie

I had heard it once myself by lets just say a creative and colorful individual so I think that is why it stuck with me. From now on Ill just use art so all of us old dogs can relate!!!

Back