Lessons I Learned Today

JP50515

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Alright so when I started riding it just so happened that a bunch of my buddies also bought bikes (I know trend setter right?) jk anyway I've alway rode cruisers and customs. The closest I ever got to owning a sport bike was a Radian and the only reason for that was the fact that I bought it mint for $800 in small town Wisconsin and sold it in the twin cities two weeks later for $2300. If it hadn't been for my first bike getting totaled, I would have never bought the Radian. If I had never bought the Radian I would have never sold it and had the money to buy my first XS. If I had never bought that bike, I would have never learned to rebuild a motor or weld or design a motorcycle from the ground up, and I wouldn't have rode my bike today and I wouldn't be typing this post right now....weird how things like that seem to work huh?

Anyway point of the story is I finally got the bike all tied up, just need a couple more things before she's truly complete, but its ridable as is. So I called up some of the guys from the old crew, I was expecting them to roll out on the bikes they had last time I rode with them which was last season....nope almost every one of them has a sport bike now. One ninja 636, another 600r, a yammy R6, and a gixxer 600. The only other cruiser was my buddies vstar 650. My best friend who's visiting on R.A.P. from the airforce right now tailed in his mustang pony.

full

Anyway this was the first real time i've pushed this bike to any type of extreme, and let me tell you the thing is a maniac. Apparently a hardtail bobber isn't really a beginners bike, I have to manhandle this thing like none other. This bike acts so differently than my soft tails, it's one of those situations where if you get scared and let the bike do what it wants to do or if you freeze up you'll be on the ground or off the road in a second kind of situations.....like 80% of the time lol. I'd never ridden a rigid frame until this bike and I have about 200 miles on it total... so there's my experience lol.

But these rocket guys were taking corners like it was the track. I watched multiple times as they touched their knees to the ground (I had been wondering why they all had padded pants) Meanwhile here I am trying to keep up. Not gonna lie I pushed my little xs just about as hard as she can go today. I was surprised to find that she barely keeps up with a v6 mustang....that was frustrating. I didn't expect to keep up with the rockets but I was hoping she'd at least beat the stang... However i was not the slowest lol the vstar took that award.

Lessons learned today:

1. If I ever fall off my seat I am losing all hope of having children

2. Hitting bumps on a springer seat at 75 MPH launches you about 6-12 inches in the air

3. Trying to downshift, while hand signaling a turn, and braking at the same time (especially while hitting "Slow down! there's a stop sign ahead!" rumble strips will cause an immediate speed wobble.

4. Hitting road snakes in the corners sucks

5. I need a rear brake

6. No matter how fast your bike is it will never get as much attention as the custom bike rolling next to you :D (got about 10 :thumbsup: from people today)

7. Even after eating the back end of an audi and then the highway on my last bike, I will never give up riding unless i'm dead or dismembered

8. Suddenly I'm riding a bike that isn't shunned by the Harley guys, However those same guys seem to either have an uncontrollable need to hold a sound off or race every time I end up at a stop light next to them.

9. Every bolt on my bike needs a lock washer

10. My bike can do a ton up :)

11. And last but not least....I don't think there's any better feeling than finally getting down the road on the machine you've been pouring blood sweat and cash into for the whole season with some good ol' friends.

It's a great feeling riding a bike I now know so much (yet so little) about and have built from the ground up. Kinda makes you feel connected in a strange way when you ride it...like there's some type of mutual agreement that goes something like "Alright b*tch I won't try and kill you if you don't try and kill me....unless you piss me off...then we're both dead" kinda thing.

All in all I finally got to experience the moment I'd been waiting for all summer and get out for a full day of riding on the old machine. Hopefully I will get many more out of her and she won't go down in a ball of scrap metal and flames like my last bike.

P.S. Not only did she come out unscathed, but she healed her own wounds. The base gasket miraculously sealed itself and stopped leaking oil. I guess that heat treatment stuff just needed some time or something.

this is an inspiration. awesome.

f-the guys w/the storebought bikes. f-the harley guys with their plastic fantastik little wennies. who cares if you are faster or slower, you built the damn thing your own self.

this is an inspiration. awesome.

f-the guys w/the storebought bikes. f-the harley guys with their plastic fantastik little wennies. who cares if you are faster or slower, you built the damn thing your own self.

"To each Their Own."
But I agree. I know a guy who just bought a PRE-bobbered xs and shows it off like he built it....pisses me off.

But it seems like everyone seems to ask me why I don't paint my bike up nice and make it perfect...originally I wanted to make it showroom quality but somewhere along the line I said "F-it....I can't think of one thing I've done in this life that's been worth a damn that I didn't have to get my hands a little dirty to accomplish...riding a prissy road queen with shiny rims and accessories is just about as opposite from my personality as I could get".....My bike represents a theory I've had for a long time now....Each speck of dirt, drop of oil, scratch, knick, ding and every other imperfection has a story....those stories define that bike, they give it character. If you live in such a way that you can't find at least a small amount of appreciation for the imperfections, then you must live a life constantly striving to find perfection in everything....which must really suck for you because it doesn't exist...

....this theory also applies to people lol

That pretty mutch tells it all about building a hard tail bike and to really ride it hard. It may be a beast to ride never a dull moment but the 10 :thumbsup:is very rewarding. I built a old hard tail chopper back in the day. I still remember it today 47 years later. The fun is the build and the ride. :thumbsup: My bike looks like a stocker but its not. I had a lot of fun building and riding just the same. :D

Awesome story. As ratty and disheveled as my bike looks I still get dozens of :thumbsup: every time I ride. Last night I was stalked by an old Ford Rat Rod. It's hard to stop for gas without someone popping over and chatting about the year of the bike and when them or their buddy owned one. A few weeks ago I pulled into one of my work sites and parked the bike. On the way into the office the guys in the yard doing some construction work shut off the man lifts and generators and started yelling at me. I thought "Oh shit what did I do". I walked over to the fence and it was embarrassing to watch the guys start asking questions, telling stories and salivating over the bike. I find most people don't care that much about what it looks like, for them it's all about a memory or doing something with your own hands.

The only people that don't appreciate it are the guys I ride with that have newer shinier bikes that no one talks about. :D

big props on number 11.
I have a super shiny, clean looking marauder800 stocker,(although debaffled and gutted airboxes, or lack there-of).
But nothing gets me smiling more than my beaten and battered-sure it could look better-ill handling, needs forks rebiuld, no signal havin' POS that I hacked in half, rebiult the emgine by myself, starts on one kick, 50$ bucket of parts that I spent near 1500 bucks in parts, and is now road worthy enuf to ride to the gas station and make all the HD guys glance over-then act like they dont care, or catch a couple of gixxer's pause long enuf to hear my open pipes on take off.
Good on you, brother, that is your day. many more will come.
(Get a fork brace)

Awesome post! Good laugh at #9... With every recent new shakedown cruise, I find another fastener that I thought was "tight enough", lol.

Awesome post! Good laugh at #9... With every recent new shakedown cruise, I find another fastener that I thought was "tight enough", lol.

I thought finding loosening fastners was a daily game of hide and seek for all of us riders. I jest of course. I have to admit that since I have gotten my hardtail done and my carbs almost completely dial in I will be doing alot of rechecking of bolts and such with each ride. I have about 20 miles of testing (mostly adjusting carbs) and have not found anything odd yet but I have not had any long runs YET!

Back