Let's play: Quiet down CoconutPete's exhaust.

CoconutPete

1979 XS650 Special
Reaction score
The origin of my exhaust is unknown. By the looks of it - it could be a MAC 2 into 1 header. Who knows.

It doesn't sound bad. Just a little loud for my taste. I don't want the bike to sound like a vacuum cleaner, but just not so loud.

Does this thing look familiar to anyone? If it does, do you know if any guts are removable?

Is there no way to run quiet with a 2-into-1 header?

Let's play!

Attachments

• exhaust_01.jpg
    exhaust_01.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 276
  • exhaust_02.jpg
    exhaust_02.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 288
  • exhaust_03.jpg
    exhaust_03.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 247
  • exhaust_04.jpg
    exhaust_04.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 254
It looks like the baffle has a rivet in the bottom. Drilling that out will probably allow baffle removal. Then a re-wrap with fiberglass or steel wool should cut the noise some. I used to re-wrap baffles years ago but unfortunately, it never seemed to last very long. The first time I did it, I bought the specific fiberglass exhaust wrapping. Like I said, didn't last long, so I switched to just plain insulation. It didn't last long either but was dirt cheap (basically free, scraps from work). Steel wool will hold up a bit better but not deaden the sound as well.

Hi Pete,
the ball is in your court again.
Now we need to see photos of the muffler's innards once you have pulled them.

Drill the rivet and yank? Off I go I guess.

Any thoughts on the connection between the muffler and headers? From the outside they just look like a slip/press fit - did anyone ever make something like that?

Drill the rivet and yank? Off I go I guess.

Any thoughts on the connection between the muffler and headers? From the outside they just look like a slip/press fit - did anyone ever make something like that?

Hi Pete,
well, somebody must have because there's the photo, eh?
That twin to single adapter got sawcuts round the back?
If so, a pair of T-bolt clamps will squeeze the gaps closed.
If not, slot them yourself or rely on the gaps self-sealing over time.

Hi Pete,
well, somebody must have because there's the photo, eh?

I meant "does this look like a frankensystem" or
"ayeh - I recognize that - that's a [xyz] system.

Anyway... obviously didn't get to it last night. I am aiming to take the bike out today so wanted it to be ride-able. Wife and daughter are going on a girls trip leaving me and little man at home for the weekend, so plenty of time to work on the bike, but likely no opportunity to ride this weekend.

I meant "does this look like a frankensystem" or
"ayeh - I recognize that - that's a [xyz] system. - - -

Hi Pete,
OK then; yes, it looks like a frankensystem but quite elegant; a later model with the hidden neck bolts and no visible scars.
And just because I don't recognize it don't mean it wasn't factory-made, eh?

Well... with the safety stuff out of the way and some other stuff taken care of, I decided to take the muffler apart and have it sandblasted so I can paint it.

Except that d@mn baffle isn't moving. Any tips on baffle removal? Back in my 50cc days you could usually get a broom handle or something through the muffler to pound it out, but as you can see this muffler curves too much.

I drilled out the rivet, soaked it in rust penetrant overnight and I was dropping it onto 2 pieces of 2x4 form about a foot up.... repeatedly ..... nothing.

Tried getting some leverage w/ pliers .... still no luck. Any other ideas?

Back