Let's see if it will start

good point.

In that situation if you would like to limp the bike home on the battery, it would not be hard to bypass the relay. The relays I use have a mechanical operator right on top. Just lift the plastic lever and it is 'energized' and you would be off running for however long your battery lasts. It still has its flaws but once I get it on paper I'll see if its still worth doing.

Tim,

If I thought this was a real problem, I would just lash a thermal switch with normally closed contacts to the coil and set it to open at 175F and close at 150F. These switches are very common in appliances, like clothes dryers and coffee makers and they are usually less than $5. The coil self destructs when left on with continuous current flowing because it gets too hot, like, 200F +. The thermal switch would cycle off and on about every 15 minutes if the ignition switch and kill switch were left on long enough for the coil to heat up to 175F.

If you are going to design something else, then all you have to do is turn off the current to the PAMCO red wire because when it is off there is no current flow to the coil.

Last edited:
The best way to fix this at this point would be to connect a one-shot (monostable multivibrator) to the triggering mechanism. The one-shot turns on the power to the sensitive area and holds it on only as long as the trigger is working, ie. only as long as the camshaft is turning. Five seconds after it quits turning, abracadabra, no power to the sensitive area.

I've noticed myself slowly eliminating my safety features one by one, but only the ones that will keep me from returning to civilization, not the ones that will help me return :)

Last edited:
Pete, I am hoping to get out into my sub-arctic, negative degree garage tomorrow with as many space heaters as my fusebox will allow and install my Pamco. I just want to clarify something. I have been reading all of the instructions on your site for installation and rereading what you posted earlier. I just wanted to make sure that I understand what you were saying about my coils. It sounded like you were saying that my coil from the 78 points model wouldn't work so I would need to rob the coils from my 1980 TCI model and swap it over. Is that correct?

Yes, you want a single coil with dual outputs (2 plug wires), not 2 separate coils.

Yes, you want a single coil with dual outputs (2 plug wires), not 2 separate coils.

Thanks 5twins, as long as I don't freeze to my stool, I hope to get this in tomorrow along with the VM34s I bought last week. Along with Pamco's installation instructions I have been reading the Mikuni tuning manual and carb guides and hoping to make some progress :)

I have been reading in the tech section and looking through the wiring diagrams but I don't see what I am looking for. I bought a Pamco and I am trying to make sure that the parts bike motor runs before I go hog wild on anything else. I will get a high output coil later but for now I want to use the dual output coil off of the 1980 on the points engine (with 2 separate coils) from the 1978. The 78 has two wires (4 total) that go to each coil. The 80 has obviously only 2 wires total. I understand that one of the wires feeding the coil comes from the Pamco and that the red is my power to the coil. But which red do I use? Can I just use either one?

I have been reading in the tech section and looking through the wiring diagrams but I don't see what I am looking for. I bought a Pamco and I am trying to make sure that the parts bike motor runs before I go hog wild on anything else. I will get a high output coil later but for now I want to use the dual output coil off of the 1980 on the points engine (with 2 separate coils) from the 1978. The 78 has two wires (4 total) that go to each coil. The 80 has obviously only 2 wires total. I understand that one of the wires feeding the coil comes from the Pamco and that the red is my power to the coil. But which red do I use? Can I just use either one?

The reason that I ask is because the diagrams look like they are both fed off of the same wire but the thread in the electrical section "What happens when you turn your key on" makes it sound like power is fed to one coil at a time and I don't understand how that happens without separate power feeds. Unless that is done by the points opening and closing but I thought that power was fed through the red and white wires.

I am trying to do my homework but I am a little over my head on this one:banghead:

Pete, I am hoping to get out into my sub-arctic, negative degree garage tomorrow with as many space heaters as my fusebox will allow and install my Pamco. I just want to clarify something. I have been reading all of the instructions on your site for installation and rereading what you posted earlier. I just wanted to make sure that I understand what you were saying about my coils. It sounded like you were saying that my coil from the 78 points model wouldn't work so I would need to rob the coils from my 1980 TCI model and swap it over. Is that correct?

Kelso,

Sorry I kinda lost track of this thread.

Yes, you can use the coil from your TCI system.

In answer to your later post, I assume that you are referring to the red/white wires? If so, then one way to wire it is to connect one of the red / white wires to the red wire going to the PAMCO and connect the other red / white wire to the coil. The green wire from the PAMCO is then connected to the other coil terminal. The condensers are not used.

Kelso,

Sorry I kinda lost track of this thread.

Yes, you can use the coil from your TCI system.

In answer to your later post, I assume that you are referring to the red/white wires? If so, then one way to wire it is to connect one of the red / white wires to the red wire going to the PAMCO and connect the other red / white wire to the coil. The green wire from the PAMCO is then connected to the other coil terminal. The condensers are not used.

Pete, I barely know you but I could kiss you.:D

Installed the Pamco, swapped the coils from the 80, jumped it off my wife's van, rigged up a 7UP gas tank to my newly installed roundslides and 4 kicks later the thing is running! Now I won't sleep for a week. Dropping it at a bike shop for a 3-4 inch stretched hardtail for $350 and trying to decide of I want a 5-6 degree rake for a few hundred more. Now we're getting somewhere!

Back