I'm in upstate NY, it's currently 20-30 degrees nowadays (which doesn't always stop me) but there is about a foot or so of white crap on the ground.

I'm one of few bikes still scooting around in December where I live.

(And when you have to bring large parts to work to finish your truck, it's impractical to strap them to your back and throw off the weight while trying to ride to work. I'm better off catching a ride in.)

I dont see the problem here :laugh:

Good to hear your still ridin at least, Im one of the only ones in my city as well it seems.

Attachments

• Image-05.jpg
    Image-05.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 241
Thats an interesting oil filter set up there. Very nice bike!

That's the oil filter set-up it came with but I've absolutely no idea who did it, all I know is that it takes the spin-on filter from an Austin Mini Metro and it is low enough to damage the pipes when getting the bike out of the back of a van!
If you saw the bike in real life you wouldn't describe it as nice, the photo makes it look shiny but there's rust and corrosion everywhere-it's coming apart for a total rebuild soon!

essexboy, were do the lines from the oil filter go to? It looks like one goes to the front oil drain plug, the other somewhere else.
Leo

essexboy, were do the lines from the oil filter go to? It looks like one goes to the front oil drain plug, the other somewhere else.
Leo

One goes into the sump and the other goes into the bottom of the right hand side case. This is my first XS and I've not had it very long so I don't know that much about it yet. I bought the bike from a friend but the oil filter conversion was done before he bought the bike so he doesn't know anything about it either.
I'm considering trying to move the filter somewhere more out of the way as I think it's a bit vulnerable to stones etc thrown up from the front wheel and I've already found to my cost that the way the pipes run they are very vulnerable to damage if you should ground the bike out, although the other option would be to make a sump guard to protect them.

Yeah, I did mean the filter :)
I'd keep it if you can - gives it an unusual individuality I think.

When I first got the bike I did plan to put it back to the original set-up but since I'm not sure how and as I've found out the original was pretty crap it will stay.
The only real problem I've had with it so far was bringing the bike home as it damaged one of the pipes loading it into the van and the big problem here was that I'd sneaked the bike in by the side gate and when my missus saw it she was pissed off for starters that I'd added yet another vehicle to my collection but doubly pissed off that it had dumped all of it's engine oil onto the path and the cat had walked it into the house-I was deffo in the dog house that day :(

I've got a Pirtek depot within walking distance of my house, they did the pipes while I had a cup of tea down there :)
Cheers for the info though, I thought Venhill only did cables!

In the middle of an ADV XS650 build with an optional supermoto set up. Here is the starting point:

XS650_YZ_4-17-12_001-M.jpg

And as it sits now:

Side%20Stand%206-M.jpg

Back