Pekka, is that a 16" rear and 19" front?

18" RD400 rear. Needs new bearings, seals and spacers. I also replaced the rubber sprocket bushings with aluminum to get the chain lined up correctly (and because the rubber was rotted). Also have a custom 520 aluminum sprocket (drilled from blank).

WP_20140321_004.jpg

Pekka

Nice Bike pekka. Like what you have created not the run of the mill look. Like the exhaust. The carbs look like they were made for the bike. Great job. Have fun with it. I like it . :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliments. It's been long in the making. Maybe next winter I'll leave it alone... Or maybe not.

Pekka

It's a new to me '79 special. I am trying to decide what to do with it. Leave it alone, clean it up and paint it or make a street tracker project out of it...

Attachments

• xs650.jpg
    xs650.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 203
It's a new to me '79 special. I am trying to decide what to do with it. Leave it alone, clean it up and paint it or make a street tracker project out of it...
Leave it alone and ride it for the summer. Get to know the bike better. Plenty of time to decide what to do with it. Looks good the way it is now.

You wanted to see the xs...... Well here it is!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20140501_195539846.jpg
    IMG_20140501_195539846.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_20140501_195530999.jpg
    IMG_20140501_195530999.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_20140501_195516018.jpg
    IMG_20140501_195516018.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_20140501_195524299.jpg
    IMG_20140501_195524299.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 350
My 1977 XS650. I also use a Giugliari-style seat with a hump from Halco (bought just before ge died) - and on monday I am receiving a rearset kit from Raask in Sweden.

Bike has been rebuild by me, owned for 12 years, Boyer ignition, Schnabel electrics, Exhaust from Halco, Taper rollers in swing arm (whick I actually don´t like) and head, Hagon Dampers and repro Z900 switch gear. Just fitted new needles and nozzles in the carbs - makes a BIG difference. The bike has just lightened itself of 2½ kg excess weight by breaking of part of the centrestand, urging me to unbolt the rest of it. Goes very well, thank you.

Rider Data: Born 1963 in Copenhagen, now lives in the countryside 60 km. South of Copenhagen. First bike - a Kawasaki Z400 Twin - at the age of 20, used it for riding to the Pyrenees with pillion twice on a very low budget. Later owner of Matchless G80CS, but didn´t possess the necessary skills to get it done properly. I bought the CS from a guy who had 2 and sold the one - I think the one with all the worn out or dodgy parts....It is now done up by professionals who keeps it, and I am better off with the XS. I can exchange parts, adjust bearing and valves, even make roadside fixes that gets me home - but I am not a machinist or an engineer. Other interests - drumming, playing football, house, wife and cycling.

Hope to be able to share info, stories and jokes here.

image-0C79_4F635C83.jpg

Thanks!

The tank is of course inspired of Yamahas seventies racing colours after they abandoned the white/red scheme - but is also a blatant copy of Garelli mopeds.

I did this myself with spraycans and tape.

Jon

Taper rollers in swing arm (whick I actually don´t like)

The factory service manual calls for 6.5 m-kg (47 ft-lbs) torque on the swingarm pivot. Can you put that much torque on the needle bearings? If not how do you make up for the lost rigidity in the frame/swingarm assembly?

I love your bike. It's a beauty! :bike:

Last edited:
My 1977 XS650. I also use a Giugliari-style seat with a hump from Halco (bought just before ge died) - and on monday I am receiving a rearset kit from Raask in Sweden.

Bike has been rebuild by me, owned for 12 years, Boyer ignition, Schnabel electrics, Exhaust from Halco, Taper rollers in swing arm (whick I actually don´t like) and head, Hagon Dampers and repro Z900 switch gear. Just fitted new needles and nozzles in the carbs - makes a BIG difference. The bike has just lightened itself of 2½ kg excess weight by breaking of part of the centrestand, urging me to unbolt the rest of it. Goes very well, thank you.

Rider Data: Born 1963 in Copenhagen, now lives in the countryside 60 km. South of Copenhagen. First bike - a Kawasaki Z400 Twin - at the age of 20, used it for riding to the Pyrenees with pillion twice on a very low budget. Later owner of Matchless G80CS, but didn´t possess the necessary skills to get it done properly. I bought the CS from a guy who had 2 and sold the one - I think the one with all the worn out or dodgy parts....It is now done up by professionals who keeps it, and I am better off with the XS. I can exchange parts, adjust bearing and valves, even make roadside fixes that gets me home - but I am not a machinist or an engineer. Other interests - drumming, playing football, house, wife and cycling.

Hope to be able to share info, stories and jokes here.

image-0C79_4F635C83.jpg

That is a really good looking paint scheme. :thumbsup:

"The factory service manual calls for 6.5 m-kg (47 ft-lbs) torque on the swingarm pivot. Can you put that much torque on the needle bearings? If not how do you make up for the lost rigidity in the frame/swingarm assembly?"

Exactly - they give too much slack, and will be changed when I get round to it. Back to good old fashioned bushes.

But they were worth trying.

Thanks for the kind words - the bike likes it!

Jon

I like your bike, Jon - Very clean!
I'm not sure I follow the comments about swing arm torque - are we saying the torque should be higher? I have brass bushing conversions on two of mine.

I have brass bushing conversions on two of mine.

The brass bushing modification is inconsequential. The rigidity of the frame at the swingarm location is made up by the torque on the pivot bolt. I don't believe (don't know) you can apply that much torque to the needle bearing modification.

Does frame rigidity depend on that bolt? Or rather just the lateral rigidity of the swing arm and rear axle/rear wheel?
At any rate - I just wrote a reminder to myself to tighten that sucker properly before this rebuild goes rolling.

Finally getting the motor sorted out. Went on a 60 mile ride today and ran great.

Attachments

• weekend ride 009.jpg
    weekend ride 009.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 319
  • weekend ride 006.jpg
    weekend ride 006.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 274
Back