You need a new frame. If it runs, then it is as simple(well, you know!!) as putting the guts into the new frame.

Seems that thing is just for straight roads! Does look nice though!

looks like it's got the wrong front end on it, with longer forks it would bring it up, the frame isn't sitting right it's dropping towards the front where the forks are too short.

looks like it's got the wrong front end on it, with longer forks it would bring it up, the frame isn't sitting right it's dropping towards the front where the forks are too short.

But even with longer forks, it's still just going to be a few inches off the ground! Longer forks and bigger wheels??:shrug:

hey guys
thanks for the input
been looking for longer forks but seems what i have is at the max. about 6 inches over stock is the longest i can find
been digging round on the site and found plans and hardware to build a frame jig. so i guess after hunting season is over the bike will come apart and get the neck cut off and moved back a bit and some of the rake taken out. only solution i can come up with so far. as for the forks i think i would need about 6 more inches of length to get the frame up about the 2 to 2 1/2 inches i need and then i am not sure about the rake and trail. will the bike be safe with that long of forks and will the geometry be correct

Hi all hope u enjoy xs650 ...everyone said don't do white and I took the chance hope u like it .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 350
My XS and friends Triumph on their way to Nordkapp Norway. Picture just after the 6km long Nordkapp tunnel (right about here). 3400km's in 8 days. Northern Norway has some of the most amazing roads and views ever. The XS held together like a champion all the way. Just one bog down from wet air filters an two mysterious smokey morning starts. Keeping the engine warm in +5 Celsius weather and wind from the Arctic Ocean was a bit of a challenge...

nordkapp1.jpg

Pekka

fantastic shot pekka would love to see some more
What a spectacular ride that must have been. :bike:
Pity you didn't have a PVR

Thanks peanut! A PVR would have been nice. It's a bit difficult to take photographs while riding... Here is an edited clip from someone riding the E6:

thank you pekka that was a real joy to watch. What breathtakenly beautiful scenery .
Some of the heathland reminded me of Scotland I bet it must be a birdwatchers /photographers paradise.

If you are thinking of buying a PVR there really is only 1x choice the Mobius camera. Its specification and performance betters Go-pro in some respects and its considerably smaller .
I attach mine to my helmet with a small piece of velcro ...but I still tie it to the helmet with some fine cord just in case.

Excellent review here.

20140828_153549_zpslp5pymro.jpg

Just picked this cafe racer up the other day! Traded it straight across for one of my AK's. I'll be chopping it up and bobberizing it as soon as the funds allow. I want a longer stretch than most people like, the bobber I just sold had a FOURTEEN INCH STRETCH! No shit! I didn't do it, was like that when I bought it. However, if done correctly I really love an obscenely long stretch. Not that long, maybe 8?
Any suggestions on frame weld ons other than TC bros. There's is dope I just want something unique:wtf:

Present from a friend. He had no time for it so passed it on to me. Was parked running going to check battery and put some new fuel in it and see what happens.

Attachments

• xs.jpg
    xs.jpg
    305.7 KB · Views: 206
  • image-2.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 169
  • image-1.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 180
Present from a friend. He had no time for it so passed it on to me. Was parked running going to check battery and put some new fuel in it and see what happens.

great project . Wish I had friends that gave me bikes :D

Welcome to the forum ...hope you'll start a resto thread and keep us abreast of progress:thumbsup:

Finally wrapped up this whole project last week.

'81 650 Special II.

It's been a long summer of wrenching, cutting, rewiring, rebuilding, and trial and error. Some serious "fuck yeah" moments, and some serious exercises in patience.

Here's how she looked when I traded an old pistol for her back in May:

211wh7r.jpg

Here she is warming up for the road yesterday morning when I decided to fuck off from my desk and head for the hills:

fjoi39.jpg

I have christened her "Old Jap Jenny".

Sound advice in sharpie & clear coat:

317d539.jpg

All in all, a successful project, and I'm really stoked with how it all shook out. On to the next project.

Moonraker - What have you done to that beautiful old stock XS!!!
(What am I saying! I ended up with something similar:
full
)

I'm in ABQ - let's go ridin

I personally don't understand the concept of a rat finish tank when the rest of the bikes finish looks pristine ?:shrug: maybe the theme would look good carried through to the fenders and panels etc
do you suffer with Coprolalia :wink2::laugh:

I personally don't understand the concept of a rat finish tank when the rest of the bikes finish looks pristine

Well, buddy, it's a good thing this ain't your bike huh? The inherent thing with building a custom bike is that at the end of the day, there is bound to be someone out there who doesn't like it. Who doesn't understand it. I'm okay with that. People have different taste and style. I'm really happy with how this one turned out.

And if you think the rest of the bike looks pristine, I'd like to see what you consider a rat bike. Hahaha.

?:shrug: maybe the theme would look good carried through to the fenders and panels etc

Here is a photo of the side of the bike you didn't see in my original post.

full

The sissy bar, kickstart and side stand were all fabbed out of scrap yard rebar. The plate mount/tail light bracket was cut and bent out of repurposed steel. The pipes and bars are raw steel and have already started to take on the patina I want before I coat them. The side covers were rattled flat black for $2.67, and the fender is hanging on for dear life to its last bit of chrome. The frame has rust all over it.

full

Just about the only things in pristine condition are the motor and the electrical. For obvious reasons.

do you suffer with Coprolalia :wink2::laugh:

There were some swear words in my post. I went back and edited it so as not to hurt your little eyes.

Back