Thanks, I was pretty proud of it. Surprised the boy with it almost two weeks ago now...he wasn't expecting it at all, so was pretty gob-smacked. Sold his little bike three days later to a good friend who gave it to his wife to ride...she's only 5ft tall so she fits it better. Your bike looks great , one of the guys I ride with has a '77 that I painted up in the same colours for him.

As a PS, it's not an XS, but this happened to my oldest boy two days ago when he was getting ready to turn left into my driveway....he's stiff and sore, but will be alright. Needless to say, he's pretty pissed about the bike. It was a young kid who hit him with mommy's SUV...makes a hell of a hood ornament, don't it?

003-22.jpg

Seems tin-top pilots are the same world wide: down under, when one says, '...but I didn't see him' they really mean, '...I didn't look.' Here, it seems most of 'em find driving is a distraction from texting on their cell phones. Lucky bloke, though - could've been a heck of a lot worse.
...I meant to mention your tank colour choice was inspired. Triumph used shades of blue sparingly - like the '60 Bonnie, the mid-sixties Thuxton and the T120C and it always looked good. You've achieved the class looks of a Triumph with the Yam's reliability. If you painted a couple of oil dribbles on the crankase, you'd fool non-riders.

...I meant to mention your tank colour choice was inspired. Triumph used shades of blue sparingly - like the '60 Bonnie, the mid-sixties Thuxton and the T120C and it always looked good. You've achieved the class looks of a Triumph with the Yam's reliability. If you painted a couple of oil dribbles on the crankase, you'd fool non-riders.

haha...I love this post. Beautiful! :)

Don't laugh, I used to carry a piece of black rubber gasket material cut to look like an 'oil stain' around in my pocket to put under it to complete the illusion.

Don't laugh, I used to carry a piece of black rubber gasket material cut to look like an 'oil stain' around in my pocket to put under it to complete the illusion.

EXCELLENT! It'd be worth doing just so you could see the look on spectators' faces when you rolled up the oil stain and stuck it in your jacket.

Here is my 83 HS, got it with 4000 km (aprox 2500 miles).
xs650_21.jpg

Changed the exhaust to a Mile from Omar, cafe seat, tracker style handlebars, put 13.5" rear shocks and changed the tank badges. Had to move the tail light closer to the licence plate light. Runs really smooth, next step it to replace the swing arm bushings and head set bearings.

Figured that since I am new to the site, I will throw a shot of my bike on here as well. I know some of you have already seen it from Two Wheel Mafia throwing some pictures up here, but here's a shot of my 1977 XS from last year before I sprayed the pipes.

Attachments

• DSC_0095.jpg
    DSC_0095.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 267
heres my '79, been working on it for about a year. first bike ive ever worked on. hasn't been on the road in 18 years. pretty proud of myself considering :D

Attachments

• 382421_10151000241559804_569183150_n.jpg
    382421_10151000241559804_569183150_n.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 299
Heres a couple pics of mine. Its almost complete. 6 months, lots of beer to get here. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• chopper 5.jpg
    chopper 5.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 202
  • chopper 7.jpg
    chopper 7.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 243
  • chopper 8.jpg
    chopper 8.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 283
Back