Hey guys I'm new here and looking for advice. I found a 78 xs650 that's been stored since 89, the guys looking for 800 it looks to be in really good shape but I know it's gonna need some work and tires. Just wondering what I'm looking at to get it up and running.

Hey guys I'm new here and looking for advice. I found a 78 xs650 that's been stored since 89, the guys looking for 800 it looks to be in really good shape but I know it's gonna need some work and tires. Just wondering what I'm looking at to get it up and running.

Hard to say without being able to see it. But the price would scare me away as long as the title is straight.

Clean title? Original owner? Compression? Does it run and charge? Mileage? How are your finances? Comparative pricing on other XS's in the hood? A few things to keep in mind....If I was in the market I'd look and consider BUT there's no telling about a pig in a poke, and that's what any of these are unless you know the bike and owner personally.

Clean title? Original owner? Compression? Does it run and charge? Mileage? How are your finances? Comparative pricing on other XS's in the hood? A few things to keep in mind....If I was in the market I'd look and consider BUT there's no telling about a pig in a poke, and that's what any of these are unless you know the bike and owner personally.

Ok clear title, found cleaning out a relatives house. 3000 miles. image.jpg

If the tires are even a tiny bit suspect, get new ones. They are what hook you to the road, bad tires can't do that very well.
If it has been stored since 89. I wouldn't even try starting without an oil change, drain and clean the tank, fresh fuel. Clean the carbs. www.amckatltd.com/carbguide/pdf
A new fully charged battery.
Go through the basic tune up steps.
Cam chain tension,
Valve adjustment,
Points gap and timing,
Now with clean tank and carbs, fresh gas and oil, good battery it should start.
Most of these things won't cost much but tires, they can run from about $100 a set to several hundred per tire. I might suggest the Pirelli MT Route 66 tires very good in the dry and very good in the wet. The Bridgestone Spit Fire II's a good option too. I have set set of each on my XS650's.
Leo

Couple of xs's i just picked up. hoping to get a project going this winter! not sure what to do yet, just gathering parts for when the time is right.

Attachments

• PB140176.jpg
    PB140176.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 226
  • PB140177.jpg
    PB140177.jpg
    319 KB · Views: 228
  • PB140178.jpg
    PB140178.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 221
  • PB140179.jpg
    PB140179.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 207
  • PB140180.jpg
    PB140180.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 196
Been working on mine for about 2 years. All custom work done by me (including the powder coating) and it's nearing completion. More pics on my profile build album. Build on!

Attachments

• DSC_0040.JPG
    DSC_0040.JPG
    238.5 KB · Views: 208
  • DSC_0041.JPG
    DSC_0041.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 250
  • DSC_0042.JPG
    DSC_0042.JPG
    256.1 KB · Views: 261
  • DSC_0043.JPG
    DSC_0043.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 306
Here is my soon to be completed all original 1973 TX650 with only 7888 miles. I have another few days and she will be ready for sale. ill post in the classified soon. Enjoy the pics i have so far.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 191
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    304.2 KB · Views: 165
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 180
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    287 KB · Views: 146
Couple of xs's i just picked up. hoping to get a project going this winter! not sure what to do yet, just gathering parts for when the time is right.

I don't like you! Not fair at all!!:mad::banghead::banghead: Let some of the other kids play with the toys too!!:bike:

! I wish we could pick them up as easy as you guys on the other side of the pond!! I'm already wishing for another one, and my first hasn't even seen the outside of my shed!!!

You are one lucky SOB!!:thumbsup:

I don't like you! Not fair at all!!:mad::banghead::banghead: Let some of the other kids play with the toys too!!:bike:

! I wish we could pick them up as easy as you guys on the other side of the pond!! I'm already wishing for another one, and my first hasn't even seen the outside of my shed!!!

You are one lucky SOB!!:thumbsup:

There was a time when they were easy to come by where I live but apparently I have them all now. I haven't seen one I don't already own in well over a year.

Back