Mule,

"And for gentlemanjim, I didn't mean to come accross as a prick. Just call um like I see um! When you're over 50, you tend to do that".

I didn't sense that at all. I'm quite creative and have done some out of the box mods. GSXR foot controls, muffler, XS750 std. tank and seat, Seca Turbo fender. No match for your skill level, but I'm not afraid to cut and weld. That Triumph build in Motorcyclist was awesome.

everyday- do you have the top end mounted to the frame toward the rear under the tank where I can't see it? If not how does that effect the vibes? Lots of fabbing I see on that bike. Good work.

Here is my 1980 XS650 I recently purchased for $1500.

Attachments

• DSC07325.jpg
    DSC07325.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 619
hook. no idont have a better pic but im gonna take some more tommorrow just to give a closer look at some of the fab work i done. but im not sure what carb it is think its off my buddies iron head sporty. it was in his shed when i was buildin it so we made n intake n put her on. i thinks its a lil much so im gonna try out a mikuni n see what happens,

Man, this is a great thread. Mule, Everyday and Teebs, you're dead on.

At the risk of offending Travis or anyone, I wish you guys would come post some of this stuff on my Delphi DIY Cruisers forum. There's a bunch of guys over there riding sofa bikes, wishing they could build a bobber or something, yet afraid they can't do it! They love and admire all the rats, cafes and chops they see just don't have the guts to take the first step. I know you can't teach creativity or ambition but you can inspire.

I just read a bit about Burt Munro. Talk about getting down to it!

I am thinking about how nice it is to have a motorcycle to ride while I finish up the one sitting in my living room.

This is my XS650H which I have owned for 15 years. For the first 5 years it was my only bike.

1981Specialll.jpg

81XS650H.jpg

Last edited:
Cooltouch . . here's a pic with the slicer lettered. I have to say, I am getting a lot of attention with this bike. I hoped for some, but am surprised at how much. I'm getting guesses of BSA, Triumph . . . even a BMW ha!! Too much fun.

Attachments

• slicerletters.jpg
    slicerletters.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 285
Long time lurker, first post. Recently completed 1981 Special. Wanted the British Roadster look, so I cut up and reshaped the seat. Everything was rebuilt by my mechanic brother and I wanted the vintage feel, hence the stock discs, rims, all that. A lot of upgrades in the future, but it's fun to ride right now.

before/after

Attachments

• IMAG0051.jpg
    IMAG0051.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 229
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 190
so here is my 75 xs650... ultra low-buck ride.... have about $150 into it after dragging it out of my uncle's barn.

cheap out rigid using stock swing arm and some thick-wall square tube stock, hand formed (over thigh) seat pan. LED tail light and relocated rear turn signals. aftermarket head lights and front trun signals came off an old sporty...
I have a removable seat pad and am planning MAJOR changes over the coming winter.

Attachments

• AceOfSpades1.jpg
    AceOfSpades1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 168
  • xs650.jpg
    xs650.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 214
Here's my 75. It's an older pic. I've cleaned up the wires, recovered the seat. And put the side covers on.

Attachments

• LostFile_JPG_65099824.jpg
    LostFile_JPG_65099824.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Back