Here's my XS:

ZOE_0366_1_1.jpg

'81 XS650
I bought my first bike, a XS, back in February for $900. It was in good condition, really clean and had a little less than 8k miles, but wouldn't turn over. I figured it was either fuel or spark. Using the forums I figured it out: a poorly soldered TCI box and broken coil. I had the TCI re-soldered and bought a new coil and she fired right up. I have been riding in my spare time to build up my confidence. It's been a lot of fun.

My future plans: lower front forks and new rear shocks (lower).

great lookin bike mejum .
Welcome to the forums :thumbsup:

My daughter snapped this photo in Paris, France a couple of weeks ago.

sweet .... for a moment I thought 'what the bloody hell are you doing in France with your bike lol ....
I'll get me coat!

Attachments

• French650.jpg
    French650.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 194
yeah with that photo it's easier to tell now. howd you like it on that side. that's like twice the suicide lol.

haha i get that alot, especially from my dad. he thinks ive built a deathtrap haha.
i like it being on the right. i run it with the normal handclutch so it just takes an extra second for me to shift since i have to release the throttle, reach back and shift, then get back on throttle but ive gotten pretty quick with it. like i said the chain broke after just a few testrides but i feel comfortable with it.

This is my '81 XS650 springer chopper,this is my third summer riding it since the build.You couldn't ask for a more comfortable better handling chopper.I have more detailed pics on my profile.

Attachments

• '81 XS650 Chopper 009.jpg
    '81 XS650 Chopper 009.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 200
  • '81 XS650 Chopper 010.jpg
    '81 XS650 Chopper 010.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 203
  • '81 XS650 Chopper 011.jpg
    '81 XS650 Chopper 011.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 209
  • '81 XS650 Chopper 012.jpg
    '81 XS650 Chopper 012.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 211
  • '81 XS650 Chopper 001.jpg
    '81 XS650 Chopper 001.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 241
Great job Conrad. As cool as they are, it's nice to see something different than a hardtail with a sporty tank.

Thanks Bill. This is my first build and i've really enjoyed the process. I can polish the copper with La Hot Sauce or let it sit and it will give it the patina you see. This is kinda like having two bikes. Again, thanks for the compliment.

Nice! Are those ACTUAL copper bits or are they plated?

Also, copper on the end of the exhaust is not good, Heating copper emits poisonous gas, baaaad juju!!

Most everything copper is copper... some parts are copper powder coated or painted with copper paint. Yeah I know heating copper is not good... not even sure if I will keep the ends there. Figured I would be riding fast enough not to inhale any fumes. I made the copper battery/electronics box out of a sheet of copper and the fender pieces from the original bike.

A/C service man been brazing copper every day for twenty five year's. Not dead yet. I am more worried about crazy fucking drivers on cell phones texting all the dam time. That's who will turn left in your lane and kill your ass before the copper will.

Back