Prolly the most common 4 leading shoe is off the early water buffalo's....

View attachment 254877
Brilliant! Thanks Jim, knew I hadn't jest made it up. And logic kind of suggests that if a tls brake needs a link rod, a 4ls must need two?

Must have been a nightmare to set them up dead right and keep them right.

Brilliant! Thanks Jim, knew I hadn't jest made it up. And logic kind of suggests that if a tls brake needs a link rod, a 4ls must need two?

Must have been a nightmare to set them up dead right and keep them right.
some polishing done.jpeg brake linkage.jpg

perch.jpg rim spoke pattern.png

When I bought this at Barber vintage weekend a Canadian told me of his experiences racing with that wheel, he carefully set the linkage so it had a bit of progressive action, 1-2-3-4 shoes contacting, not all at once, or it was too "touchy". I (cough) haven't run my set up yet... Need to send some parts for plating (going on a year now). and a build to put it on.

Last edited:
When I bought this at Barber vintage weekend a Canadian told me of his experiences racing with that wheel, he carefully set the linkage so it had a bit of progressive action, 1-2-3-4 shoes contacting, not all at once, or it was too "touchy". I (cough) haven't run my set up yet... Need to send some parts for plating (going on a year now). and a build to put it on.
Interesting,
Question, Was he racing on dirt?
Also, if you make it progressive, will that hold during wear? Or will the pads also progressivly wear ones faster than the others. Or the wear is insignificant?

Interesting,
Question, Was he racing on dirt?
Also, if you make it progressive, will that hold during wear? Or will the pads also progressivly wear ones faster than the others. Or the wear is insignificant?
First one contacting will wear more than the others, but it's not going to happen overnight, and the wear of all of them will be in step.
<finger in air> I'd suppose a check and re-adjust every two thousand miles.
Perhaps longer, who knows until it's tried.

Quite like his lil 650 bobber but I gotta wonder why people go for a hardtail - maybe their roads are better than what the Cooncil provides around here? Thing that amused me was when he started to, um, wipe his bum. No, obviously it's far more stylish to a have a hand gearchange and you might as well put it someplace awkward. Sorry, I mean cool. I guess you just gotta suffer for a slice of street cred, man. ETTO.

Quite like his lil 650 bobber but I gotta wonder why people go for a hardtail - maybe their roads are better than what the Cooncil provides around here? Thing that amused me was when he started to, um, wipe his bum. No, obviously it's far more stylish to a have a hand gearchange and you might as well put it someplace awkward. Sorry, I mean cool. I guess you just gotta suffer for a slice of street cred, man. ETTO.
It's art. And once the bike is done it's very cheap to maintain, because it seldom exceeds 50 mph or goes very far! Rocker clutches and jockey forever! Best!

Yes Raymond, a few weird things on that machine but its his bike I suppose.
Also some beautifully crafted elements too.
I would prefer a normal gear change / clutch lever assembly; but I like the hydraulic activation tho'
The arse wiping gear-change 'motion' ('scuse the pun) is not a great or cool look to me. :laugh2::lmao::laugh2:
No doubt the roads in Aus are both level and evenly surfaced; unlike any road built / maintained ??? in the UK.

The arse wiping gear-change 'motion' ('scuse the pun) is not a great or cool look to me
Apart from that, I can think of hundreds / thousands of occasions where fiddling around with one hand off the bars would be detrimental to one's health.
Fast reactions to quickly-changing road conditions with a hand shift like that? Nah.

Back