Let's talk a bit about Starracer frames.

Here is a photo of the bike in question. Numerous nice mods but as I said, much of the tracker racing scene is unfamiliar.

roy

Attachments

• Yam01.jpg
    Yam01.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 1,018
Here is a photo of the bike in question. Numerous nice mods but as I said, much of the tracker racing scene is unfamiliar.

roy[/QUO

I know who built the motor in that bike, I know the specs on it.. and hes been building xs motors for as long as they have been in country.... In fact, Shell is who schooled the ol boy , ( these guys can talk all the shit they want (he said she said) Im building this and Im GOING TO DO THIS/THAT....what a bunch of bullshit. In fact, I know that bike was/is put together proper. and it screams ....and by the way, when you do/if you do buy the bike...go find a rephrased xs and show them what real 360 crank/rod combination will do....they aint gonna like it....

roy[/QUO

I know who built the motor in that bike, I know the specs on it.. and hes been building xs motors for as long as they have been in country.... In fact, Shell is who schooled the ol boy , ( these guys can talk all the shit they want (he said she said) Im building this and Im GOING TO DO THIS/THAT....what a bunch of bullshit. In fact, I know that bike was/is put together proper. and it screams ....and by the way, when you do/if you do buy the bike...go find a rephrased xs and show them what real 360 crank/rod combination will do....they aint gonna like it....

Not sure, but I think that was high praise.:wink2:

roy

Royboy, Starracer frames were built in Wichita, Ks. by Kennedy Mfg. mainly in the 70's and 80's I believe. When my bro. and I built our XS flattracker in 1979 we were going to use a Starracer but could not get one for whatever reason and ended up getting a Boss frame from Cal. From what I've read on the Starracer Xs's some say they handeled great and others said not so much. Prob. be perfectly fine for a street tracker.

Royboy, Starracer frames were built in Wichita, Ks. by Kennedy Mfg. mainly in the 70's and 80's I believe. When my bro. and I built our XS flattracker in 1979 we were going to use a Starracer but could not get one for whatever reason and ended up getting a Boss frame from Cal. From what I've read on the Starracer Xs's some say they handeled great and others said not so much. Prob. be perfectly fine for a street tracker.

Plowboy, Thanks for the info. I really like the bike in question but they want $7850 for it and I'm not having much luck learning about the bike's history. It's loaded w/stuff like Brembos and Kennedy knock off hubs, etc.

I used to be fast but now it's more like elegant (in my own mind). Not sure I need that much gun for the game I'm chasin'. :yikes:

roy

Roy that bike is sick. Really like the inverted forks and aggressive tires. The only bad I can see is you can't do anything to it. The good is I'm sure its a blast to ride. Did you ever sell your build?

Hey Ryan, No haven't listed the 77D yet. Lots of snow here and I won't sell a bike I've built until I've ridden it. (If something stupid that's my fault is gonna happen it should happen to me). The tracker really is one hell of a machine but that's a lot of bread too, so trying to be a little smart here.

roy

I feel ya on the tracker. It is a lot of money. I'm sure with your skills you could build one cheaper. Not to mention, the joy of building it yourself. Besides, it further justifies that man castle of yours. One good thing about the snow, you get to enjoy (visually anyway) the fruits of your labor

Flattrack racing frames built by Shell Thuit. Shell is mostly know for his motors.[/QUT

starracer frames are still being built today; and Shell, DID NOT BUILD THE FRAMES....

you can by a new frame from Kennedy, to just name one of the many builders; there are at minimum 10 reputable purpose built frame builders that I know of...and im sure someone is building one-off race frames out of there garage,that I don't know of.... all you poser's that jump in with bad information, miss information; damn...read a book..get a clue .....Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak/or pound on a keyboard..

Here's a little info about Starracer frames. They came after Sonicweld, Trackmaster and Champion and were at least partially the brainchild of Neil Keen who was, among many things, the #1 perveyor of flat track frames. The Starracer was different because it was built for the oval tracks ONLY. Unlike the other aforementioned frames the Starracer had a built in offset of the rear wheel that did not have the front and rear wheel in line. The idea was to duplicate and use the geometry of tire stagger. The down side for the Starracer was that most guys wanted to use their framers for the ovals AND TT's but, they did NOT work for TT racing. For a street tracker that really shouldn't create an insurmountable problem but know going in the frame was not designed for hard right turns...just sayin'

Here's a little info about Starracer frames. They came after Sonicweld, Trackmaster and Champion and were at least partially the brainchild of Neil Keen who was, among many things, the #1 perveyor of flat track frames. The Starracer was different because it was built for the oval tracks ONLY. Unlike the other aforementioned frames the Starracer had a built in offset of the rear wheel that did not have the front and rear wheel in line. The idea was to duplicate and use the geometry of tire stagger. The down side for the Starracer was that most guys wanted to use their framers for the ovals AND TT's but, they did NOT work for TT racing. For a street tracker that really shouldn't create an insurmountable problem but know going in the frame was not designed for hard right turns...just sayin'

All true. and while in conversation with Neil Keen you needed to know what you were talking about and be able to articulate any and all mechanical fact and or theory accordingly; or Mr. Keen would abruptly point out that if you couldn't keep up with the conversation at hand, you should mind your manors, shut up, pay attention, and let the grown-up's talk.. true story..:thumbsup:

Interesting thread hope some more "in the know" info will come to light here. I have a "one off garage builder" ice racer XS650 frame. I think you have to know or at least be aware of what you are getting into. The steering angle tends to be pretty steep. They are very light and not designed with being ridden thousands of miles in mind. I still want to build it up into a street bike but it seems to always be "the next bike" I'm going to work on...

He's definately one to listen to when it comes to the science of flat track. I attended his birthday party about 2 weeks ago and I stood in awe listening to him and Dennis Mahan school all of us bystanders how to make a BSA Gold Star faster and more reliable!
You wouldn't interupt Oppenheimer and Ferme discussing the bomb...You wouldn't try to inject a thought as the Forefathers drafted the Declaration of Indepenence and if you know what's good for you, you listen intently when Neil and Dennis are talking about building flat trackers!

Not sure if your still interested but here is a link about the Staracer Frames from Flattrack.com. http://www.flattrack.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&view=topic&catid=3&id=180793&Itemid=0

I have owned and raced a Yamaha 750 Staracer for the last 4 years and once I got the suspension dialed in it has been a blast to ride and it handles wonderful! I also am trying to finish up a Champion Yamaha 750, The Champion is not an original but a copy.
Here are a couple of photos of mine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 685
Last edited:
Back