Lets talk Oil Sump Filters...

XS-IVE Habit

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am about to make a purchase of gaskets and such for a winter touch up on my 1975. I have about 9,300 miles on it and I am going to do a filter oil change at 10,000. I have heard that my oil sump filter is prone to tearing. Is Mike's XS the way to go? And if it is the right filter whats the installation like. My manual does not speak about it.

mike was backordered about 2 weeks ago ,got mine from 650 central . drain oil than just unbolt the pan and remove the 2 screws that hold it in place . very simple installation

I haven't opened up one yet that WASN"T torn and I am up to about 5 now. +1 easy peasy. about the worst is scraping gaskets. Careful torquing down the bolts they are prone to stretch and break. (I have heard) really, I haven't broken a bolt yet. Being cheap I have been making a bolt over aluminum shield and epoxying it to seal it to the remaining screen. The Mikes filter is supposed to be improved now????

filterbrake 001.jpg

filterbrake 002.jpg

Yes, Mike's filter is reinforced with perforated sheet metal behind the screening but ..... that sheet metal swings away from the screening in the area that is most prone to blowing out all the time. So, really, the "improved" filter isn't much better than the original. The 1st one I got was blown out at the 1st oil change. It lasted about 900 miles, lol, probably less. It could have blown the 1st time I started the bike, who knows. I've taken to patching them up with JB Weld. I actually prefer patched originals over the one from Mike's. Besides blowing out, one of the magnets came loose on his too so I had to JB Weld that back in as well.

I really think the next one I do (tonight maybe) I am going to bend up a little light sheet steel shield and tack weld it to the top and bottom filter frames in a couple of spots.

I just goop the JB Weld on, seems to hold up fine .....

SumpFilters.jpg

5T...what is the process you use to clean the screen prior to the application of the JB Weld? I was afraid the JB would chip off in the areas where the stuff gets thin - like near the edges of the repair.

I just clean them really well with solvent and make sure they're dry before applying the goop. After a bath in kerosene I'll use something that dries quick without leaving much of a residue like lacquer thinner or alcohol. The screen makes a nice surface for the JB Weld to adhere to and I haven't had any problems yet with it coming loose.

Any idea why there are flat sections of foil as opposed to the corugated sections? Is it ok to blank out these flat sections? I have just taken out my filter and a flat section is beyond repair.

Yes, the filter's so big it won't hurt to block those areas off. They seem to be the spots that blow out, too. Maybe because, like you said, they're flat and also probably because they're right next to the oil feed hole into the filter.

Back