License Plates. Are 3 too many?

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
In Delaware we have these black & white, low digit plates. Some of these numbers have been owned by the same person since the '40's
plates.jpg
There are 2 digit, 3 digit and 4 digit. The lower the number the "better" they are.
They are highly sought after and I have seen some go for $7,000. Yes, $7K for a license plate. Basically it is a sign of vanity IMHO.
A, "I have a lower digit, therefore I am better than you, richer than you and have been (make it seem) here longer than you".
The Govenor has #1, Vice-gov #2, so on and so forth. People go crazy for these things. But they have to be active to get those prices. Meaning you can use them on a vehicle and the number has not been "retired". Some people have paid a ton for one at antique stores, then find out it can't be used 'cuz someone else has that number. It gets pretty crazy.
Anyway, the DMV here has been having a sale as of lately for the B&W motorcycle plates. $147.00 and you get one. A limited amount were made and I think they're out by now. Pretty cool looking on a bike though. So I got one. Probably a good investment seeing what these prices are.
Well, it comes with a regular plate too, with the same number. So you get 2 plates. To add to this, I also have a vanity plate for my bike. Now these are all for the same bike mind you. They are all legal to run, whenever I feel the urge. So I can run the B&W one day, the plain 4 digit the next or maybe the vanity on the weekend.
I actually have 3 legal plates for 1 bike, lmao.

Never had a vanity tag, or a B&W tag, on a bike, but I had a vanity tag on my jeep (ROK TOY). I'm not sure if they have changed it or if its different for bikes... But Delaware used to require that motor vehicles with vanity tags had to also carry the standard number plate in the vehicle with the vanity tag on it...

Yet every time I'd get harassed for tires, lift, stinger bumpers, noise, parking in odd places... I've never had an officer request my standard # tag. :banghead:

I'd be sooo tempted, if I had 3 legal tags for the same vehicle, to make a "James Bond" style plate spinner... wait for an officer to be running the plate, and hit the button to switch it. Hey, all 3 are legal, right? :laugh:

as long as they don't write you three tickets per infraction :eek: maybe write a ticket for one and a little street justice for the other two.... don't taze me bro :laugh:

I asked about the tags in the cars. She said you don't have too, but I heard that from someone else.
I got 3 bikes....and only one is registered, lol.

That is one of the coolest style plates I have seen, very classic. I would move to Delaware just to be able to register my bike and get the plate!

That's some crazy prices. I do like the black and white plate but wouldn't pay that much for it. That's $147 that could have went toward that new computer! :D

We don't have quite the same situation here in NC. If a vehicle is at least 35 years old then we can register any unused tag of the same year as the bike was made. That is, as long as the vehicle is registered and insured as an antique, which, by the way, is the cheapest way to register and insure a vehicle. That means any tag 35 or older has value-- though only a few hundred dollars at most.

A now deceased friend of mine once had the vanity plate, 69 HOG.

IIRC some years back a Delaware radio station raffled off a resto-custom 1957 Chevy, with the active B&W tag #57 on it. The tag was worth MORE than the car.

The prices of active double digit B&W tags range in 6 figures, and there is a standing offer of $500,000 for an active single digit B&W. :yikes:

I actually have 3 legal plates for 1 bike, lmao.

Here in Pennsylvania, you would need to have proof of insurance for each tag, so your rates would triple to be legal. Not to be "vain" but these are my Pa. plates. Only one person commented on the FXE80 plate in 10 years, so much for vanity.. :shrug:
Mick

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    246.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    255.8 KB · Views: 106
Did you realize the practice of mowing the lawn goes back to England when wealthy estate owners would hire dozens, sometimes hundreds of people to cut grass with sheers as a means to show off how much money they could afford to waste. More acres mowed indicated more wealth.

The working class simply raked all the grass and weeds from their yards to prevent snakes, rats and other vermin from getting too close to the house-- a practice that continued in the Appalachian Mountains until my Grandfather's time when he would have all of us grandsons rake everything away from the house because he had no lawnmower.

Did you realize the practice of mowing the lawn goes back to England when wealthy estate owners would hire dozens, sometimes hundreds of people to cut grass with sheers as a means to show off how much money they could afford to waste. More acres mowed indicated more wealth.

The working class simply raked all the grass and weeds from their yards to prevent snakes, rats and other vermin from getting too close to the house-- a practice that continued in the Appalachian Mountains until my Grandfather's time when he would have all of us grandsons rake everything away from the house because he had no lawnmower.

Very true. My family were farmers all the way down the line. Grass was a pain in the ass. Heck, it's not even indigenous to the US.
It's funny. I walked into the DMV and bought a 4 digit tag for $147.00. My freind went in while getting his car tagged and asked if they had any low digit. The woman found a 4 digit and gave it to him for regular price. He then opted to get it in B&W.
So these people paying thousands for a tag make me laugh.
"I've been here longer than you" mentality, lmao. What a bunch of goofs. My family landed in New Bern, NC in 1720. Who cares?
What a waste of money.
I was at an auction once explaining this waste to a guy next to me. He agreed. The couple in front of me kept giving odd looks to us both. Then I watched as they paid $6K for a tag. Why?
I like my tag on my bike. Looks cool. And I'm going to sell it on a few years to someone who will pay a pretty penny for it. With the going rate, I could possibly buy another XS, lol.

Very true. My family were farmers all the way down the line. Grass was a pain in the ass. Heck, it's not even indigenous to the US.
It's funny. I walked into the DMV and bought a 4 digit tag for $147.00. My freind went in while getting his car tagged and asked if they had any low digit. The woman found a 4 digit and gave it to him for regular price. He then opted to get it in B&W.
So these people paying thousands for a tag make me laugh.
"I've been here longer than you" mentality, lmao. What a bunch of goofs. My family landed in New Bern, NC in 1720. Who cares?
What a waste of money.
I was at an auction once explaining this waste to a guy next to me. He agreed. The couple in front of me kept giving odd looks to us both. Then I watched as they paid $6K for a tag. Why?
I like my tag on my bike. Looks cool. And I'm going to sell it on a few years to someone who will pay a pretty penny for it. With the going rate, I could possibly buy another XS, lol.

Exactly, we're all here now so what does it matter? But hey, as long as there are fools who will pay it.... more power to you.

Back