Light checker unit removed - now no horn

sparklow

sparklow
Reaction score
Bike is a 1979 Special II. Removed light checker unit connecting the blue and blue/yellow wires. Tail/brake lights now work fine with no blown fuses and bike runs fine. Previously was blowing this 10A fuse and red tail/brake warning light on dash was lit constantly. It may or may not be pertinent but the reserve lighting unit was also removed and the blue/yellow and the blue/black wires connected from that unit. Problem now is that I have lost power to the horn which worked before these RLU and LCU were removed. Does power for the horn run through the LCU and how do I restore it?

No, power for the horn comes off the brown wire. The same wire powering the turns, brake lights, it also sends power to the RLU and LC as well as the regulator, neutral light and tail/brake warning bulb.
At the horn check for voltage on the brown wire. the pink wire goes from horn to horn button, to ground.
If you have power to the horn Unplug the pink wire and jumper the horn to ground, if it honks then the problem is in the pink wire, horn button or ground on the bars.
Leo

Will try this in the AM XSLeo. THe horn was working earlier today, up until the LCU and the RLU were removed. It certainly seems like power to the horn was lost directly after the removal of these devices.

Horn function was restored by moving the black ground wire from the left handlebar switch to a different ground connection in the headlight shell. Black ground wires did run through the RLU and the LCU which were removed and my theory is that cutting these devices out of the wiring loom disturbed the ground to the horn. All is well now, thank you XSLeo.

Back