Lighting problems after PMA install

Thanks for all the info. I got everything wired up and got the bike fired up. I will go through the wiring diagram and get the safety switch that takes care of the head light. The parts I have on the bike works good, With long hours working and trying to get the bike out of my boss's garage took a lot out of me, Of course my boss was in the garage and things started to get confusing since he is old school. I had to set back and figure things out. It runs really good and with the temps in ohio at 60 yesterday would of been a good ride day. Sorry for the confusion on the parts I posted as I am working on it at another site. I see the yellow wire that runs the relay , if energized the lights will come on. I just need to go back and eliminate that box. Thanks for everyone's help on this. I am still confused on the pamco ignithion as one article states I have to do the timing, It is all electronics and I am guessing that the top end does not need to be messed with as it is a fixed timing,

Thanks I will drop into the site. I have the bike up and running and will need to go to the site and figure out the final adjustments. It is a bike that means a lot to me and I will have it back up and ready for spring. thanks again for all you help.

Hi gapper & Al,
as both you guys have installed Pamco ignition systems you have your bikes' TCI modules available.
If you check Cal Schilling's "82 XS650 starts then dies" string you'll see he needs a spare TCI to see if it'll fix his problem.

No prob, wasn't to hard on ya was I.

Pamco Pete Sells his Ignition systems from his site. Has all the different instructions needed.

A link to the 80-83 Special Instructions.
http://www.yamahaxs650.com/installing_the_8083 advance.htm.

Pamco Petes Site
http://www.yamahaxs650.com/
No prob, wasn't to hard on ya was I.

Pamco Pete Sells his Ignition systems from his site. Has all the different instructions needed.

A link to the 80-83 Special Instructions.
http://www.yamahaxs650.com/installing_the_8083 advance.htm.

Pamco Petes Site
http://www.yamahaxs650.com/
Thanks, no you was not to bad on me. I was just so stressed and with the bike down in so many parts was working on me. I had my boss helping me as he is old school and no that is not bad but he was driving me off the edge with what to do. I had to tell him that my research was something I had to stay on top of. I think he got the idea when I had to tell him, no all this new stuff is a different animal. I can not do all that other stuff he suggested as it will not work. He watched and done the coffee run and the last words was -no talking - he was amazed how it went together and fired up. thanks again for all your help.

Hi gapper & Al,
as both you guys have installed Pamco ignition systems you have your bikes' TCI modules available.
If you check Cal Schilling's "82 XS650 starts then dies" string you'll see he needs a spare TCI to see if it'll fix his problem.
Thanks I am in hopes of better weather soon and try the bike out. Ohio weather will not permit that for now. For now I need to get it out and run it,

When you put a PMA on your bike there is no connection for the yellow wire to the safety relay. The safety relay also is the headlight relay. When it gets power on the yellow wire it trips and stops power to the stsarter relay and sends power to the RLU to power the head light.
To get the healight to work you jumper the red/white to the blue/black at the safety relay and the blue/black to the blue/yellow at the RLU.
This sends power straight to the headlight dimmer switch.
Another thing you can do is run a yellow wire from one of the yellow wires os the PMA stator to the yellow wire of the safety relay. This will supply the voltage nessary to trip the safety relay so the bikes electrics work like stock.
Leo
Thank you XS Leo
When you put a PMA on your bike there is no connection for the yellow wire to the safety relay. The safety relay also is the headlight relay. When it gets power on the yellow wire it trips and stops power to the stsarter relay and sends power to the RLU to power the head light.
To get the healight to work you jumper the red/white to the blue/black at the safety relay and the blue/black to the blue/yellow at the RLU.
Another thing you can do is run a yellow wire from one of the yellow wires os the PMA stator to the yellow wire of the safety relay. This will supply the voltage nessary to trip the safety relay so the bikes electrics work like stock.
Leo
Thank you XSLeo. I diddled around for endless hours testing wiring on my bike after installing the pma. I can't imagine why the seller would not include info about the headlight not lighting and a way to enable it. I spliced in to one of the output leads at the connector and lit it up.... for awhile. Seems now issues have arisen. I may try the alternate solution. Stator and reg/rec checked out but the lead I tied into has a slight burn at connection to the windings. I've had this old ride for almost 40 years, can't seem to let it go.
Leo

Back