Lightning Strikes Again!

TheScubaSteve

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time post. I bought this 81 Special II at a bargain from user Britman back in May:

http://www.xs650.com/threads/1981-xs-headlight-safety-relay.51487/

I've been having fun getting to know her, making plans for updates this winter, when this happened:

20180822_065152.jpg
20180822_065217.jpg

Once the tree was off, I was so excited the bike isn't totalled I forgot to take after pics. It even fired up! Definitely acted like the battery was dead (I hope because it sat on its side wet overnight), but other than that I think she's still in running shape. So now, my winter updates are maybe-I-can-ride-again-before-winter updates. So far my list is:

Handlebars are trash. I agree with most users, the stock buckhorns are ugly. HOWEVER, I actually find they fit me pretty well. Any recomendations for a set that is similar height- and pullback-wise that don't look like they belong on a hotwheels toy?

The mirrors are trash too, but they are easy to source. The clutch lever might need replacing, I'll have to take it apart to see if its rebuildable. What should I look for as far as rebuild or replace on that?

The tank has a significant dent. I've got a spare of questionable quality in stock, any advice on repair vs restoring the spare?

The shifter seems fine, but the left footrest is bent significantly. Every vendor I've checked so far has it NLA. Any recommended vendors, or leads on a quality used one would be appreciated.

Anything else I should specifically check as I get her back together? Any part that a little rain would've destroyed? Any false economy parts I should replace while I'm at it?

DAAAAAANG! That hurts!

Glad the bike is ... "salvageable".

Any access to covered parking?

Thanks. Unfortunately no garage space where I'm at, but we're moving into a house with a garage Oct.1. A large garage was really the only thing I put on the list my wife gave the realtor:laugh:

Sorry to see that! Plenty of OE takeoff buckhorns should be around; post a want ad in the classifieds here. If the dent isn't bad enough to completely deform the tank, it can be filled. To avoid cracking out as the tank expands and contracts with heating and cooling, use an aluminum bearing filler that will expand and contract with the tank. I've used USC Metal-2-Metal and Evercoat Allmetal fillers; both are excellent, tank repairs 15 years old still show no defect. If the dent is deep, pull out as much as possible with a suction cup and hot glue, then fill.

Sorry to see that! Plenty of OE takeoff buckhorns should be around; post a want ad in the classifieds here. If the dent isn't bad enough to completely deform the tank, it can be filled. To avoid cracking out as the tank expands and contracts with heating and cooling, use an aluminum bearing filler that will expand and contract with the tank. I've used USC Metal-2-Metal and Evercoat Allmetal fillers; both are excellent, tank repairs 15 years old still show no defect. If the dent is deep, pull out as much as possible with a suction cup and hot glue, then fill.

Those fillers are now on my shopping list, thanks!

I think I have an extra set of the buckhorns. Let me have a look around and I'll post back here.

If Jim doesn't have a set, I do. Yours for shipping.
Found mine. They're straight but have a fair bit of chrome pitting. Shipping would be cheaper from you DE.
Let us know how you want to go.

Back