Lights won't come on after blowing main fuse

WilberM

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So me and my buddy were putting in a new battery, were getting ready to take it for it's first ride. While we had the bike running, my buddy sat down on the fuse box (the seat was off) and the bike cut off and none of the lights would come on. We've replaced all of the fuses and can't figure what's the problem. When I jiggle the fuses I hear clicking noises from the safety relay/ starter solenoid and from somewhere underneath the fuel tank (sorry it don't know what it is I'm still learning this bike). If anyone could give me some tips or point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

You don't say if the bike runs after the blown fuse issue.

Sitting on the fuse box, would normally just break fuses. Be sure you have a good connection, the old fuse box has very poor contact from years of use and know to be weak contact points at each side of the fuse.

If it runs and no lights, you could take a short length of wire and cross from end to end where the fuse sits just to see if it's a poor contact issue.

Depending on the year, lights don't come on until the engine is running.

Otherwise you could have damaged a relay.

Keep looking and use a test light to pin point what wires have power.

Thanks Brian for your reply. It's a '81 special and it won't start/run. None of the indicator lights come on when I turn the bike on. I'll try to check out the relay and see if that's what causing the problem. I don't think it's the fuse connection since we switched out the contacts for inline fuse holders but I'll check that out too to be sure.

Your tail light should come on with the key on. You're not distributing power through the main fuse. Check for melted wires under the right side cover.
I leaned over the seat with the cover off the fuse box and smoked the primary wire.

JD, he said his buddy sat on the fuse box no seat involved but his own. ha ha ha

But with the old fragile fuse box, it wouldn't take much to make it short it seems.

Back