Look who followed me home

Looks like a solid project to me. Good score!

A good clean up and she will look like this................Good tidy score..........Work with what you have and and all the info and help is here to get that running beautifully. No surface rust so will wash and polish like new.........A rare, (If this is original paint), Blue in the US for that year. Metal Flake Blue......

Please do that before thinking about doing any alterations..........If you lower the handle bars it make the bike better to ride and changes the whole profile.
78SE.JPG
s-l1600 v.jpg
s-l1600d.jpg

A good clean up and she will look like this................Good tidy score..........Work with what you have and and all the info and help is here to get that running beautifully. No surface rust so will wash and polish like new.........A rare, (If this is original paint), Blue in the US for that year. Metal Flake Blue......

Please do that before thinking about doing any alterations..........If you lower the handle bars it make the bike better to ride and changes the whole profile.
View attachment 105383

I will keep it all original. Want to change the handlebars. Not keen on hand positioning. Which handlebars are in this photo?

View attachment 105382 View attachment 105381 View attachment 105383

CR carbs on here? Nice touch! How do those run??

I urge anyone who will listen to go with Euro bars. They droop down slightly on the ends which makes them very comfortable, the most comfortable bars I've ever used. There's another benefit to this if you have a Special - the angled MC fits pretty much perfectly. In fact, it sits better, more level, than it did on the original buckhorn bars. Here's a Special much like yours that I recently put Euro bars on. Besides that, it got the full front end Monty - tapered steering bearings, Minton modded forks, braided S.S. brake line, overhauled (cleaned) MC and caliper. Needless to say, the ride and front brake operation were transformed. Notice how nice and level the angled MC sits on those Euro bars .....

8Aw5lTK.jpg

A8JPUlV.jpg

FN52Gx0.jpg

You can get them just about anywhere, even Mike's sells them. Last ones I got came from Amazon. Both the cheap bar makers (Emgo & Bikemaster) make them. I've tried both and don't see much difference between them really. The Euro bend style is the important thing, the way they droop down slightly on the ends. This rotates your wrists to a more natural angle and that's what makes them so comfortable .....

j5505gZ.jpg

I put Euro Bars on my '83 and '76 Xs's, and I've been fairly happy with them. As 5T says, the slight droop does make them comfy, and steering input feels quite direct. However, I have stock '75 bars on both my '75 and '80, and I've come to like them even better. They are about 2" taller, and a smaller droop. I am 6'1", so this might be a factor.

002.JPG

Miles sells them, and they are a bit more expensive, but have lead in the ends to help with vibration.

Thanks for the quick reply 5twins..........BUT.....here's what kills me about purchasing motorcycle handlebars.

I just made a quick search......( I'd like to try the euro bars on one of my XS's)

Dennis Kirk - Emgo Euro bars item number 23-12563
Width 30 1/4"
Rise 3 1/4"
Pull Back 5 "
End rise 3 3/4"
Center 4"

Mikes has two types 25-1106
Width 29.5"
Rise 2"
Pullback 5.5"
Center 4.5"

Mikes 25-0123
Width 30"
Rise 2.5"
Pullback 5.5"

J&P Cycles Bikemaster J&P part number 213-799
Width 30"
Rise 2 1/2"
Pullback 4 3/4"

Okay I realize the differences are minor....but they are different and I'm not sure if it matters. Just wonder if the ones you've been getting are exactly the same and if they are......could you share the specs?

I go through this with my other bikes and it's a real pain trying to find a correct bend for a 50 year old motorcycle......on one model I have I finally just gave up. I have a LOT of brand new handle bars hanging in the shop......I hate most of them for one reason or another.

Gordon

Thanks for the quick reply 5twins..........BUT.....here's what kills me about purchasing motorcycle handlebars.

I just made a quick search......( I'd like to try the euro bars on one of my XS's)

Width 30 1/4"
Rise 3 1/4"
Pull Back 5 "
End rise 3 3/4"
Center 4"

Width 29.5"
Rise 2"
Pullback 5.5"
Center 4.5"

Mikes 25-0123
Width 30"
Rise 2.5"
Pullback 5.5"

Width 30"
Rise 2 1/2"
Pullback 4 3/4"

Okay I realize the differences are minor....but they are different and I'm not sure if it matters. Just wonder if the ones you've been getting are exactly the same and if they are......could you share the specs?

I go through this with my other bikes and it's a real pain trying to find a correct bend for a 50 year old motorcycle......on one model I have I finally just gave up. I have a LOT of brand new handle bars hanging in the shop......I hate most of them for one reason or another.

Gordon
Gordon,
In my experience, those measurements can be erroneous. Frustrating, yes.
Also, I have found the EMGO chrome to be of better quality than the Bikemaster; in my experience.

Width 30 1/4"
Rise 3 1/4"
Pull Back 5 "
End rise 3 3/4"
Center 4"

Width 29.5"
Rise 2"
Pullback 5.5"
Center 4.5"

Mikes 25-0123
Width 30"
Rise 2.5"
Pullback 5.5"

Width 30"
Rise 2 1/2"
Pullback 4 3/4"

Gordon
Best idea, IMHO, is to contact the source and ask each of them to measure the actual product sitting on their shelf. I can say that Mikes will probably do this for you.

I like superbike bars. For grips I just put on some biltwell Recoils. Love them! Easy to put on and a slightly bigger finnished diameter. Many styles to choose from too.

I have Euro bars on my 650, perfect for that bike. But my 850 has Emgo scrambler bars, a little higher and wider. Perfect for that bikes extra weight. That's another option, check the Emgo site for dimensions. John.

tank.jpg

tank has some raw spots :(
anywhere to get some factory touchup paint?
otherwise a quick wash made huge difference
clean.jpg

couple rusty spots on handlebars (changing) and left exhaust header...
Are downpipes stainless or chrome?
This one has been dropped on right side... crushed rear turn signal and cracked exhaust pipe.
Has nice clean oil, petcocks are on reserve, engine has compression when turning over with kickstart.
No keys yet...replacements cut by id numbers arriving next week...

Not bad for my first bike...
Previous project: BMW E30, two 2-storke engine rebuilds: jetski and outboard powerhead in a jet boat :)

looks like both brakes need full rebuild, front forks, rear shocks (are these rebuildable), new tires (front is a must)... battery, carb clean or rebuild...
turn signals and mirrors + decent euro or x2 bars...

Last edited:
Headers are chrome......factory pipes have an inner pipe, this stops the chrome from blueing, the exhausts and headers are one unit, (sure you have worked this out), and the exhausts can be cut from the headers but be real carefull and don't cut the inner pipe as well..........This can protrude past the chrome outer, when installing an aftermarket muffler it has to make a seal around the inner pipe.......

Link shows the pipes ans a solution. http://650rider.com/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7611

Shame about the paint...........No Yamaha color codes are available.........could do a spectrum analysis for a repaint or do your own thing.............Over here i can get 2 pac cans made up for any color for about $40.00 and that does a small car bonnet..........enough for a tank and covers

CR carbs on here? Nice touch! How do those run??

Not my bike........A Japanese import to Aus and a guy a couple of hours up the road bought it and apparently he is real happy with the bike and how it runs...........I say apparently, because i haven't meet him but a fellow XS'er, (friend), knows him and has seen the bike in person.

Back