Looking at 1978 standard

danders

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Found what looks like a mostly original bike for sale locally, the price seems reasonable.
Currently riding a 1979 SR500,

Sold my other bike 1990 Hawk nt650gt this spring, great bike just too modern for me.

The xs650 was the current owners Dad's bike, he has had it 15 years since his Dad
passed. Rides it occasionally..............

Any tips on what to look for, problem areas............battery is low, I'm assuming because
of lack or riding this winter and age, not the charging system. If it runs well with jump
the charging system should be fine right?

You can perform a simple charging test when you go to look at the bike if you take a volt meter with you. Start the bike, set the meter to the 20V range, and clip it to the battery. At idle you should see around 12V and up near 14V when revved to about 3K RPM. If the voltage doesn't rise when you rev the bike, it has charging issues.

With a good title, complete, all stock and in good shape the $1500 isn't bad. As nj1639 said, all issues can be fixed.
There is a lot of good help on here to fix anything you find.
Leo

That is a good price on west coast...I'd pick that up quick...as already said...all issues can be dealt with later...that's the fun in these bikes

Can you read and understand what you read? If so get a repair manual and then nothing is outside your capabilities.
A few basic hand tools and you can fix everything your self.
It runs well but has a bad battery. Nothing hard to fix.
Leo

then why are you looking? quit fuckin around and make that 500 yours.
Apperently, your more the bolt on and go, huh? cant be bothered by electrical shit, and pesky REAL customization. I don't mean to be a dick, but really?
That 650 prolly is already gone. Theres a guy up in marysville, wa. that scoops up any and all 650's.

The way things are going with stock standards in 2 or 3 years WA & OR guys will be kicking themselves for not buying it.

Buy it or tell us we can have a go at it

He who hesitates is lost.

Hell it's worth buying keep it undercover a new battery and in 12 months sell it for $2500.00

Back