Looking at a '77, but what am I looking for?

lassenc

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi!

I've read some Buyers Guides on the XS650'es, but I would like to share so photos of the bike in question, and would like you guys to point out some things I should be aware of.

Any incorrect parts for examples? Dodgy stuff?

38528789_588_9999_0_0_0_0.jpg

38528808_588_9999_0_0_0_0.jpg

38528817_588_9999_0_0_0_0.jpg

The price is more than right :)

But I won't be able to pick it up before tuesday, so I will offer him a deposit I think.

That bike looks like junk, I'll give ya 50 bucks for it !!!!!!
Really, most folks don't start with that nice of a bike.

Is it in Europe?
Looks more like a 76, at least the front end appears to be from a pre 77 bike.

It looks to be in pretty nice shape but I think you're looking at a '76, not a '77. "Tells" are the front end, brake calipers, instruments, and dual throttle cable carbs. It also has some newer parts swapped on, looks like from a Special - headlight bucket, MC, and tail light. The seat isn't even from an XS650 I'm thinking.

Hmm. I found the listing. Looks to be around $2000 us dollars. 12,400 Krons?

We don't know how good we have it here I guess.
Stainless braided front brake lines, headlight bucket looks non stock. Guess my eyes aren't as good as XJWMX I don't see that second throttle cable.....
Bit of a parts horse, might want to REALLY check it over before any money changes hands.

it was 5twins seeing double. My eyes ain't worth sheeit either, but I can sleuth out Danish craigslists.

Guys, that's a Euro model; can't generalize from North American specs and features. Maybe some members across the water would know more and can chime in here.

Now that I look again, maybe I'm wrong about the dual throttle cables but Griz is right, that's a Euro model so not the same as what we got. The side covers said "OHC 650 Electric" on our '75 models I think. It's a "Bitsa". Mufflers are stock I think. Europeans seem to change the exhaust last, probably because of stricter licensing laws for modified bikes. They usually tweak suspension and brakes 1st.

5twins you're just not used to the electric wires hanging in the breeze like that.
+1 on the stock exhaust with the flat line headers. Looks just like my 79F exhaust anywho.

It is in Denmark as you said :)

Bought it today, it ran really sweet, no sounds that wasn't supposed to be there etc.

The price is around half of what they usually go for, and then in this condition too.

An incorrect headlight bucket will not scare me.

Got any links for cafe racer parts? I am looking for some "Mild caffination" and don't want to permanently change stuff.

Mikes XS has a cafe seat that will go right on, for $200. He has bars and hoses and cables too.

Back