looking at a Craigslist xs650, have some questions

jgage916

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok, im looking for my first xs650. There is a local guy that has a massive amount of jap bikes and mopeds in various states of disrepair. He has what he called a "1982?" Xs650 in an xs400 frame. The post says none of the bikes run. I have no idea yet how complete, or not the bike is. I hope to see it tomorrow, hopefully post a pic.

My questions are, how common is a 650 in a 400 frame, what is the difference in the two frames, and what do I need to look for(good and bad)?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Agreed. Two things I really look for in a project bike these days; Does he have a title in HIS name for it, and how complete is the bike? I'm not that concerned if its a non runner, but the more complete the bike is the better off you are.

Edit: Oh and I would by far take an original bike that's not running over a 'custom' that someone else has had their hands all over. I just don't trust other people's workmanship. Seen waaay too many shoddy things done over the years. The 'rebuilt' engine that was put together with the wrong piston rings, no base gasket, bolts not tight etcetera.......

Ideally...I would by an original, running, ride-able bike. The thing is anything I do has to be uber budget. Come tax time I'll have a grand, MAYBE 1200, to spend. At the moment I can swing the $250 he wants, or less if I talk him down... if the motor isnt locked down...I guess what has me interested is at least then I HAVE a bike to work on...a project. For the last two years every time I got the money something came up.

My ultimate goal is a brat style bobber, so I would eventually be changing tank, bars, etc, so some missing parts isnt such a loss if the price is right.
Im going to go look regardless, its only 10 minutes away, might as well.
Still run?

I say go check it out...and then you'll not be thinking about it for the rest of your life as a "what if" scenario...but there's a lot of red flags there...and likely just a huge money pit to fix what's not there, won't work, and a hard/expensive lesson to learn about what not to do. You'd be better off buying individual parts from members on here...a frame and engine cam be had for pretty cheap...and then you can build what you want...just my thoughts for what it's worth.

I agree with Roy.

If the guy is local then go and have a look, take some pics and post them up. At the very least you will learn something for the next XS you look at

I think that'd I'll do, go look, take some pics, and more than likely we will talk about all the reasons NOT to buy it. I got a little excited because its so close, I've had a hard time finding one that isn't half way across the country and that is worth buying or not overpriced. When I do find something decent for a good price I dont have the money (cue world's smallest violin, lol).

Well I talked to the guy on the phone, he said "yeah, its an xs650 stuffed in a 400 frame". Im gonna go look at it Saturday, just because its so close. I know the place, he has TONS of old jap bikes, dirtbikes and mopeds in various states of disrepair. This is the ad, lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-01-08-16-26-54.png
    Screenshot_2015-01-08-16-26-54.png
    162.7 KB · Views: 206
Hi jgage,
thing is, if the motor is good, it's worth eff nigh the asking price all by itself.
OTOH, the ad don't say XS650, it sez XS twin.
Like they said, go check it out and post photos.

To the complete newby the xs400 and xs650 engines are similar, but the xs400 engine will show that it takes 2000ml oil, while the xs650 engine will show 2500 ml as well as all the other more obvious characteristics. I am betting it is a 400, because a 650 in a 400 frame, why?.

Easy tell is the covers on the head. On the Xs650 they have round covers, the xs400 has a rectangular cover just on one side.
Some xs400's were single overhead cams, others dual overhead cams.
Leo

Back