Looking for a good stripper

TwoJugs

Excess XS
Reaction score
Who used strippers to remove the factory clear coat from the motor casings? I have a few that still have some on it, looks like a clear greenish color. Sandng and scotchbrite worked in the past but I know there is an easier method. Previous owner sprayed the aluminum rims too. At first I thought it was a bad corrosion issue but looking closer it is just peeling, bubbled, faded clearcoat and the rims look decent below.

No brass poles in this post....

There's one at Home Depot I really like. It's in a gold can with a white top. Works great. 5 minutes and wash it off.

Follow up with a good coat of Mothers and it'll be good for a year or two. I don't know why people clear aluminum these days...

Rich

There was Velma...she used ta strip at the local saloon.....she retired but her two daughters Vynil and Linolium are both good.

Ha ha...sorry couldnt resist......

Farm and fleet sells aircraft stripper, Thick body it brushes on and stays put. It's gotta be good cause the tiniest little dot on my skin burns like hell. I buy it by the gallon and strip gas tanks etc with it also. Acetone also does the job but it evaporates fast. Plenty of ventilation, masks won't stop these fumes, MEK is the active ingredient I think, it is a people killer chemical.
In case you didn't know don't attempt to strip paint off of plastic parts, the stripper softens and distorts the plastic...... Yup experience AGAIN.

heldenbrandt-usa.jpg

I used a product called "Super Strip" on the rims and engine side cases of my XS650D, the product worked well on the clear coat. I talked to the chemist at the factory before I used it on my bike, he assured me it woudn't do anything nasty to the metal surfaces. I think you can find it at Lowes.

There was Velma...she used ta strip at the local saloon.....she retired but her two daughters Vynil and Linolium are both good.

Ha ha...sorry couldnt resist......

You beat me to the punch! I laughed when I saw the members name was TwoJugs!!:)

Tal-Strip II Aircraft Coating Remover by Mar-Hyde is what you want. I've tried a few products and this is the best. http://www.amazon.com/Mar-Hyde-3711...ILYW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1324498176&sr=8-3

It's expensive to buy in the spray can but more convenient. I buy it in a gallon jug and it's a blue gel. I use cheap throw-away paint brushes or chip brushes to apply it. Wear rubber gloves and at least safety glasses and use in an area with good ventilation.

pACE-960392dt.jpg

I use it all the time for paint, powder coat and the inner lining of my lungs. Strong stuff, do not inhale, but melts powder coat like eggs in a frying pan.

There's one at Home Depot I really like. It's in a gold can with a white top. Works great. 5 minutes and wash it off.

Rich

Used the same stuff but my cases had some nasty scrapes which were too deep to sand out. I used JB Weld as a filler (think Bondo), sanded the whole thing and painted them gunmetal color.
100_0516.jpg

They helped.

Stripper.jpg

Back