looking for a shop/builder/mechanic/etc in or around NY areas

peekay981

XS650 Member
Reaction score
ok guys, i've gotten an 81 xs650 in a tc bros hardtail frame that needs more work than i have time or a garage for. frame has a crack/bad weld on it, wiring system is very strange with things done a way that i can't understand (permenantyly live wire to the headlight?), drum brakes need work, rear fender that needs mounting, plus a few other things.

the good news? the engine is ok. had a compression test done and it has some compression issues but runs and starts fine. hey, it's an 81, right?

i would love to tackle this thing but i've since sold my house and have no garage to attempt the work i might be able to accomplish on my own.

i'm looking for someone reliable who can handle the welding as well as the mechanical. i want this to be a safe stable daily ride and am willing to take the time and money to have it done right since i am not able right now.

i'm not looking for a 'totally sick bobber' with a 'wicked paint job'. looking for something safe to ride that i can have fun on.

anyone know of shops that are near NYC (within about a 2 hr drive is what i'd consider close) that might be able to help.

appreciate any info you guys have.
thanks.

Back