Looking for comments on this, Condenser Tester?

kshansen

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure if this would be of use but just putting it out there for thoughts. It's from a Chainsaw forum but I'm thinking a Condenser is a Condenser. Looks easy enough to build even if I don't speak fluent Electronics. Maybe someone who does could give some added input as to if it would be helpful to have.

Deleted the bad PDF, scroll down to post #7 where a new one is posted!

Last edited:
Not sure if this would be of use but just putting it out there for thoughts. It's from a Chainsaw forum but I'm thinking a Condenser is a Condenser. Looks easy enough to build even if I don't speak fluent Electronics. Maybe someone who does could give some added input as to if it would be helpful to have.

Yeah - like that very cool spark plug tester....Mrs. Jim has one of those condenser tester in the kitchen drawer just to be handy. ;)

All seriousness aside, it does seem that a number of people are experiencing condenser troubles these days. Perhaps its age or heat - or both.
In any event, a tester might be just the ticket.

Last edited:
When I download that doc, there's nothing in it to see?

One question I might have is could this tester be made to function with straight battery power to avoid the possible danger of the 120 volts if someone made a mistake? Or is the AC voltage needed for the testing? The more I look at the drawing I'm thinking the transformer does not reduce the voltage but just "isolates" the load side from the input side. Maybe to allow the load side to be shorted(?) without causing a major melt down?

Yeah... your PDF is just the front page Ken.
There's a good selection of inexpensive meters out there nowadays with a CAP function. This "baby Fluke" looks to be a pretty good deal for the price.

Untitled.png

Well I'll have to try again, printed out at this end but now not seeing it myself!
Trying one more time.

Also some over at the Homelite site say testing with just a multi-meter can give a incorrect result. As this remark below, something about leakage even if the capacitance was tested with-in spec.

Ed, you're absolutely right. These things really need to be tested to verify they can hold a charge. Had a David Bradley that wouldn't run worth a flip. I tried everything. The condensor looked fine when measuring it's capacitance using a meter. I finally decided to change it out just to see, and sure enough it ran great afterwards. That was enough to convince me that they really need to be tested in a way other than just measuring capacitance. Wish I had something like a Merc-O-Tronic, but haven't found one yet that's been affordable. I had seen the Homelite schematic in a dealer package. When Undee70ss posted the link, it sparked interest again. I finally found the link to the post.

Looks like the PDF worked this time!

Attachments

• condenser tester 01.pdf
    776.7 KB · Views: 196
Now that I can read the document - that little unit does look like a good little addition to the tuning and troubleshooting toolbox.

PDF works now. Interesting... I think you'd need to be working on "points engines" on a fairly regular basis to justify making one. Unless of course you're just geeky enough to want one just because. :geek::geek:
;)

Amazon has an isolation Xformer for under 20 bucks.... yeah.... um....yeah.. :doh:
"The Force geek is strong in you young Skywalker Jim." :rolleyes:

Untitled.png

Those bridge rectifiers... The 1000V rating is good for auto-electrics. The 400V is borderline. When the coil fires there is also an induced voltage in the primary of the order of about 100 - 300 Volts.

.....You guessed it, I am bored since my Covid-19 test came back negative.

Amazon has an isolation Xformer for under 20 bucks.... yeah.... um....yeah.. :doh:
"The Force geek is strong in you young Skywalker .Jim." :rolleyes:

View attachment 171978

1. I have absolutely no need of such a thing.

2. I checked my stash - I have the bridge rectifier, resistors, and gator clips and I'm pretty sure I could come up with some lights that would work. I'm out of project boxes at the moment and would probably have to pick up the transformer.

3. Why do I have the urge to build this thing?
3a. See Jim's quote...:sneaky:

Back