Looking to build a cafe racer, xs650 special or standard?

I would say see what you can find to buy in your area, there's not too many differences. How much modification would you be willing to do? I.E whats you mechanical aptitude?

Oh Yeah I almost forgot, WELCOME!!!

It wouldn't take a whole lot to achieve that look. You will want to start with a standard. You can do it with a special, but it will be more work and more $$.

The specials mounting for the rear shocks is more forward, lending to a lower look.
The standards is further back giving a more upright stance.
The special will have a 16" wheel. The standard an 18".

Re. the Wrenchmonkees SR500: there's no "racer" to that bike, and the "cafe" designation would have to mean that it's fit to ride across town to the coffee shop as long as you don't try to push it. There's no thought given to suspension--the tires are too fat for the rims and will squirm under moderately aggressive cornering, and they'll also slow the steering. The support provided by the front fender is gone and there's no brace, so the 35 mm. front end will have all the rigidity of half-cooked pasta. Same problems with the La Corona XS650, but worse--that one has unbraced 34 mm. forks. Both of those machines are all show and no go--lots of lipstick on pigs.

Re. the Wrenchmonkees SR500: there's no "racer" to that bike, and the "cafe" designation would have to mean that it's fit to ride across town to the coffee shop as long as you don't try to push it. There's no thought given to suspension--the tires are too fat for the rims and will squirm under moderately aggressive cornering, and they'll also slow the steering. The support provided by the front fender is gone and there's no brace, so the 35 mm. front end will have all the rigidity of half-cooked pasta. Same problems with the La Corona XS650, but worse--that one has unbraced 34 mm. forks. Both of those machines are all show and no go--lots of lipstick on pigs.

Interesting. I do like the larger tire and no front fender look, but sounds like it's not a very good idea.

I guess I could have just the brace with no fender?

But it looks SO COOL!:laugh: I suppose if all you intend to do is look at it, or "be seen", looks come first. At least it will look good sitting on the side of the road, broke, because someone worried to damn much about how it "looked" instead of how it "worked". Do Wrenchmonkee's bikes look cool, yes. A lot cooler than the majority of the trash can bobbers I see running around. Is either one practical, no.

But it looks SO COOL!:laugh: I suppose if all you intend to do is look at it, or "be seen", looks come first. At least it will look good sitting on the side of the road, broke, because someone worried to damn much about how it "looked" instead of how it "worked". Do Wrenchmonkee's bikes look cool, yes. A lot cooler than the majority of the trash can bobbers I see running around. Is either one practical, no.

This is good info. So basically the main thing with Wrenchmonkee's bike is there is no support for the front end? If that is the case I can do a chopped front fender like Inevitable's link.

Thanks for the help..... I'm looking to purchase a late 70's xs650 that is in great condition. I'm looking for one that runs good, so I can focus on suspension and looks to start with.

Matt

I wouldn't have called those bikes cafe racers to be honest, the style looks more like flat tracker to me . The lines between the various styles seem to be morphing so much I'm not sure I know my bobbers from my hardtails and my trackers from my choppers anymore .
This is what I would call a traditional cafe racer style

http://www.motorcyclemojo.com/2009/01/xs650-cafe-racer/

I wouldn't have called those bikes cafe racers to be honest, the style looks more like flat tracker to me . The lines between the various styles seem to be morphing so much I'm not sure I know my bobbers from my hardtails and my trackers from my choppers anymore .
This is what I would call a traditional cafe racer style

http://www.motorcyclemojo.com/2009/01/xs650-cafe-racer/

You are probably correct, maybe the style I like is cafe tracker haha.

like you I'm torn between the street tracker look and the cafe racer look. Wish I had two bikes lol.
What did you think of the green painted frame ? I thought it looked awesome. I'm seriously thinking of powder coating my frame a bright colour now ...maybe purple ha ha

Peanut, do not inform my girlfriend you can powder coat the frame random colors...she would go bonkers over the fact that you could paint it purple...(purple is her favorite color)

Back