Loose wire, now won't start.

Nwcali01

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Yo! alright so while coming home one night my lights started to flicker. got home and found the accessory wires to lighting had come loose off the ignition. took 2 days to solder and wire everything up tidy and now the bike wont start. seems like no spark, and i am running a pamco pma kit w sparx capacitor. Threw a battery on to see if it would kick over and still nada. Thoughts?

Well my guess is with the "flickering" ie intermittent load and a capacitor you torched the PAMCO. Unlike a lead acid battery a capacitor is not a good electrical "shock absorber" if the regulator doesn't act fast enough voltage spikes can be killers of electronics.
Did you pull and ground a plug to check spark?

Yep pretty much read up on how the system works and came to the conclusion I burned the pamco like you said and after pulling the plugs and verifying I just went and ordered a new one. Next time ill have all wiring done beforehand. Thanks much tho!

When you install the new ignition, hook it up to a battery all by itself. Don't hook it to the bikes electrics.
Hook up the rest of the bikes electrics as you plan to run it.
Now run the bike. With the bike running, test the PMA output at the Capacitor. It should reads about 12 to 13 volts at idle and rise up to about 14 to 14.5 volts by 2000 rpms. But at higher rpms, like 5000 rpms, should never go higher than the 14-14.5 volts.
If the PMA checks out ok then hook the ignition to the bikes electrics.
I would also put a volt gauge on the bike so you can monitor the PMA output.
Leo

Back