Losing Spark in right cylinder when hot! Pamco, Hughs PMA

BlackBandit

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have done quite a bit of troubleshooting to find this problem but no luck so help me out.

I can ride for about 30 miles engine gettin hot and ill lose spark in my right cylinder and ill stay without spark for sometimes along time (5+mins) and other times a short time (1-2mins). i can ride on one cylinder to get to a gas station and ill let it cool down and kick it over and its like new. I have Pamco Petes electronic ignition and his coil timed about 3/8" prior to TDC, with Hughs PMA and a 40v-75000uf Capacitor for carbs i have Mikuni TM38mm flatslides not synced but getting pretty equally brownish spark plugs. 125-130psi compression recently tensioned the cam chain and checked valve tappets. Spark plugs are only 1500 miles old.

Im pretty sure its an electrical problem and i think its heat related. Help me out i havent swapped the wires yet but like i said i gotta go 30 miles in a single trip for it to act up on me.

A simple test. Next time, remove the points cover, and spray (from a distance) some quick-evaporating carb cleaner in there to cool things down. See if the wait time improves. If so, might think about weak trigger magnet.

The Pamco system is fairly new it has maybe 500 miles on it. The carb cleaner wont effect the little circuit board in there will it? Im hesitant about that i know it can dry out and effect plastics and rubbers.

Another thing is my Hughs PMA sticker for top dead center and fire marking wore off so i have marked my top center with white out and have adjusted timing to roughly 3/8" in front of tdc can someone measure the distance on their sticker how far the fire mark is from the tdc mark or tell me how many degrees it should be at idle and i can protractor it on there haha.

Back