lost neutral light

BartBuddy28

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok i will spare you guys thee nonsense of explaining everything i've done to my XS, but in a nutshell i have completely replaced every charging system component on my bike, after intial installation of new rotor and stator, i re-installed the sidecover and accidentally pinched the pick-up coil wires which, prevented the bike from starting. so i repaired the threee broken wires, got the bike running, neutral light was on. put bike into gear, light went out, as it should, but when i put the bike back into neutral, the light will not illuminate, but the bike is in neutral, as i was able to walk it up and down my driveway without holding in the clutch lever....what in the wide world of sports could possibly be wrong that would allow the "N" light to light up, but then not relight after placed back into neutral?

There is a light blue wire that runs from the neutral switch to the neutral light. When you were working on your wiring repairs, you may have accidentily broke or damaged that wire. It runs in the same general area as the wires you repaired.

Is the light blue wire still attached to the neutral switch?

It could be as simple as the bulb burnt out. Try using a length of wire from a good ground to the terminal on the neutral switch. Check the bulb to see if its filament is still good.

Edit: If your bike has 4 fuses, the "Signal" 10 amp fuse could be open or a bad connection from the fuse holder clips.

Take the wire off of the neutral switch under the carbs on the engine case and ground it with the key on to see if the light lights. If it does then the wiring/bulb is good and there might be a problem with the switch itself.

thanx to you grinder and retiredgentleman, i will try those tests in the a.m. i am currently waiting out a severe thunderstorm in my area and not quite in to mood to run to my garage in the torrential downpour...again thanx for the advice

ok so i was able to ground out the wire to the neutral switch and the green light illuminates...i also removed the switch itself and pressed in on the plunger, and the light did not illuminate..so am i correct to assume that my safety switch went bad?

Do you need the neutral light to pass inspection or anything? Im just trying to figure out exactly why your so worried about a neutral light. If the bike runs good and shifts fine I sure wouldn't worry about a neutral light not working. The only lights that will be on my bike when its done will be Head light and tail light.

No im not worried about it..im just anal, im very meticulous...its my first bike ever and i want things to be right...i habe since fixed that probkem, however now i have a new more complicated problem and i need to actually speak with a voice over the phone cuz im reallllllly lost now

Back