Low buck build- #2

Two things that might help.
1. Visual impact is making a brat kit http://visualimpact2.com/Merchandice.html
2. Honda rebel shocks are what bratstyle is using on their bikes.
3. If you want to create a better line (depending on your tank, I'm using a wassell on my brat) try angling your seatrails down more and then just add more padding to your seat like bratstyle does rather than the flat bobber seat.

The seat is just setting there for now. I anted the rails to follow the contour of the seat. I can't do much until the front end is bolted on though. Once that is on I can work on the correct angle. I plan to modify the area where the foot pegs bolt on. Then adding dual top tubes to make the frame look like a cantilever style frame.

I also stumbled across a post that mentioned the earlier swingarms are shorter than the later models. Either by an 1" or 2". I have not checked to see if this is true though.

Last edited:
Today I scored a set of K&N drag bars for the bike for $20. I didn't even know they made such a thing.

Once again, I'm not sure where this build is going. The more and more I try to make the shocks look good, the more I begin to not like it. As stated I have two frames so I'm gonna do both and see where it goes.

I'm picking up tubing on Friday and also a tubing roller. I have some ideas sketched up for a cantilever style hardtail frame.

I stumbled upon a bike called the cycruiser the other day. Not quite the look I want, but the frame style is similar.

Like I said, this is gonna take me a year to build....:)

Yeah James, I wouldn't question it on your scoot. It looks like it was built for riding. "Plenty" of clearance on the rear fender. lol

The point was that rebel shocks are really stiff when used on xs's. If you see the different point where they mount on the swingarms on the honda vs the xs. the xs exerts far less leverage then the honda. So in short, 1.5 inches of clearance is "plenty", due to the high spring rate of the shocks.

I wasn't disagreeing with you on that. There is less than 1.5" of clearance on that Bratstyle scoot.

No, a friend had it in his garage. He was pissed when I found the frame, and decided to sell it to me instead!!!

I finally found a machinist that didn't think I'm crazy for wanting to put the Harley front end on the XS.

I'm bringing the trees in tomorrow to get the steerer tubes swapped. I CAN"T WAIT!

Hello again.

I'm still waiting for the trees to get finished and get the second bike to my garage.

I have come up with a design for the internal cable throttle that might rock the socks off the Harley world. No need to cut the bar down anymore! I just need to make sure others have not done it. Sadly, the parts I found to use won't work on a 7/8" bar. For now I'll tell you that they are bicycle hub and brake parts.

I also picked up another tank in my quest to find something cool. I found a nice Honda XL tank and it fits the bike really nice! Good lines and the mounts are almost where they need to be.

This project has been keeping me busy while I wait.

The mini Boardtrack racer/gas bike with a antique Briggs 1 h.p.

DSCI0068.jpg

DSCI0069.jpg

I got the Harley fork installed. I need to make a shim on the top tree because it didn't fit the XS steerer. I'll get pics and problems later on. It sure looks nice though!

I'm still gathering parts and ideas. I have not nailed down a design yet though. I have been busy with the boardtrack bike and the garage has been to cold to heat up. Since it's warm today (18*) I might leave work early to go play in the garage.

I'm going to pick up tubing this week though. I'll grab a bit extra for your build too.

Did you get a bike?

Still looking. Trying to find something I can ride next summer while I gather parts for a winter build. Trying to keep it under 2 hrs to go look at something. May have found one, waiting for pics.

I went to the metal shop today and picked up some tubing.

I bought a Harbor Freight tubing roller and rolled a 1" tube to make the new seat mounts. They look similar to the visual impact kit.I was able to get them tacked in, but I need to lower them a few inches.

I also spent some time removing a bunch of little brackets on the frame.

Not a lot of progress, but I put a few hours in.

Back