low rpm miss?

aaroffee

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey everyone, thoughts about a problem i came across today.

Got my bike running, kicks fine, got idle sorted, set timing, values, cam etc.
rode around the block a few times, is fine on take off then runs into a miss in low range rpm then breaks
through and is fine at high rpm, very crakly and poping when it happens, i also noticed the advance springs arent super tight and spring back, by me touching them should they? while it is running a watched them open with throttle and then close when backed off? so they seem to functioning properly but how tight are they supposed to be? should they recoil if i flick them by hand?

any ideas?

yeah they definalty don't spring back like that! think that could be the issue?

also blew a few fuses from the red wire coming out of the voltage reg, should i just bypass the key switch and ran it directly to the battery and have a inline fuse? iota the charge wire correct? points, separate reg/rec I'm talking also.

so that red wire from the reg, i have running through the fuse box which is everything on with key ign.
wonder why its blowing? could it be to much of a circuit for it to run through everything should i just bypass the switch and run it directly to the battery??

14619931_10207318261610537_1731725958_n.jpg
14657721_10207318262130550_11202378_n.jpg

this is the basic diagram i followed, i put a fuse box in there tho after the ign and ran the ran wire from the rectifier through the fuse box also, my reg hasn't got a brown wire so assumed it was the red wire anyone confirm?

14620112_10207318307571686_296835991_n.jpg

Have you a wiring diagram for your model? If not you might find one in the tech section. You do need a regulator (working)

Bypassing the fuse is not the answer, what is the fuse capacity?

i believe its a 75 model, all of the info i can find shows the different reg to what i have, i tried 20amp and put a 30 amp in i know i shouldn't put something that big in the line but it blew that too.

Amended the attachment to 75, if you put a 20 amp in it will blow, and keep on blowing, there will be a test you can do for the regulator, i had reg / rectifier problems before but i must say the regulators are old school, they go forever with out failure.
can you explain in detail the actual issue
also blew a few fuses from the red wire coming out of the voltage reg, should i just bypass the key switch and ran it directly to the battery and have a inline fuse? iota the charge wire correct? points, separate reg/rec I'm talking also.

I need that in "Australian English" there are some real electrical experts on the forum, so I will study the diagram and wait for the translation....others will be awake soon and I am sure they will chime in. My 75 doesn't have a fuse inline....

okay sorry, i have some trouble putting whats in my brain into writing sometimes haha!

so on your bike are you just running the red from the reg straight to the battery?

No, brown from the regulator to the ignition switch, red is from the rectifier to the fuse then + battery.
Also your showing a fuse box so I am pretty sure this isn't on the 75, well it's not on mine, it's either added on or you need to check your VIN....and find out the birthday
The 78 diagram shows a fuse box.....

Last edited:
I've added the fuse box, i bought it not running with a rats nest of relays and wiring, so i torn everything out and made my own loom, by basically following the diagram i posted above but with a slight change of running it battery + ign switch fusebox.

see the picture of the reg i have? it doesn't have the brown wire just red, yellow, green, black, now I've wired them black (ground), green (stator), yellow unused, red (to the fuse box) and thats the fuse that keeps blowing!

Your diagram doesn't say that, the red looks like it's grounded onto the body of the regulator, in saying that, the regulator looks like it's isolated through the mounts, I'll take mine off tomorrow and have a look. Look at the diagram and see where the brown goes....to the key....it's not powered up all the time...when you turn the key on the circuit is completed through the key

hmmm that makes me think i don't have it bolted down to anything just free floating as i thought it grounded through the black wire, maybe the unit needs to be touching ground too? as in bolted to the frame?

Back