Make you own side covers?

Furious D

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone fabbed up a set of side covers?

I was thinking of making something simple the mounts as flush to the frame as possible . For now I am going to stay with the factory airbox but may go with pods and loose the battery, Once the bike is mounted to the sidecar It will have a car battery behind the sidecars seat.

I know I saw a set made from black diamond-plate but I cant find a pic.

Has anyone fabbed up a set of side covers?

I was thinking of making something simple the mounts as flush to the frame as possible . For now I am going to stay with the factory airbox but may go with pods and loose the battery, Once the bike is mounted to the sidecar It will have a car battery behind the sidecars seat.

I know I saw a set made from black diamond-plate but I cant find a pic.

you'll have trouble keeping that big of a battery charged unless you put a battery tender type charger on it

you'll have trouble keeping that big of a battery charged unless you put a battery tender type charger on it

As long as you dont discharge the battery too far it should not be a problem.

I ran a car battery on the previous bike ( Suzuki GS-850 ) with no problems but I did keep it on a tender when the bike would sit for more than a couple days. I should note that I was using a deep-cycle marine battery, Not so much for the capacity but to act as a a ballast when running without a passenger.

whats the rated output of the stator of an 81 XS?

I made a set of side number plates out of .080 aluminum, sanded them to get the 'brushed aluminum' look, clearcoated them and welded some tabs on the frame, mounted them with 8-32 stainless button head screws.

100_0632.jpg

Back