Making custom side panels - any ideas?

I took round stock and made a wire frame first. Then tacked the sheet metal down while bending it to the curve of the wire frame, then buzzed the excess off with a cutoff wheel. Not sure if that makes sense but I got a cool battery box out of it. Holds a full size battery,tci,8 gang fuse box,starter relay,flasher and horn relay
55CDC3A1-1.jpg

Heres mine..

Welded tabs on, cardboard cut outs, then onto some aluminum.

They fit well!

Attachments

• IMG_6317.jpg
    IMG_6317.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_6322.jpg
    IMG_6322.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_6279.jpg
    IMG_6279.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 278
Drilled holes on the bottom and tacked 1/4 20 nuts on the inside, welded a couple tabs to the frame with rubber washers insulating it.

Try and attach my pics this time :banghead:

I had to mount my coils down the back because of the tank i'm using and the green coils are too ugly to be seen in public.

You got any pics of this set up? I was also thinking of mounting my coils back there in a box like that.

You got any pics of this set up? I was also thinking of mounting my coils back there in a box like that.

Here's some pic's., as much detail as I've got.

It was the same deal, cut up a heap of cardboard trying to get the templates right, weld on tabs etc. I decided to go to bare aluminium, I just like the look of it.

Hope it hel:thumbsup:ps.

Attachments

• Battery Box & Coil Bracket.jpg
    Battery Box & Coil Bracket.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 255
  • Coils & rear Guard mounted.jpg
    Coils & rear Guard mounted.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 249
  • Spot for Fuse Block.jpg
    Spot for Fuse Block.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 249
  • Coils & Guard Mount.jpg
    Coils & Guard Mount.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 235
  • Guard & Coils Mounted 2.jpg
    Guard & Coils Mounted 2.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 233
  • Fuse Setup 2.jpg
    Fuse Setup 2.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 272
  • Mockup with Tank Painted.jpg
    Mockup with Tank Painted.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 304
Just realized how old this thread is but have only just finished the bike and wanted to share what I ended up doing in the end.
I ran the bike without side panels for a while but did not like the look.
I managed to find a pair of 1970s side panels in ok shape and modified them to sit into the bike frame connected with stainless rods at the top edge and a welded nutsert in the lower frame - so they hinge out to get at the electrics.
Had to clearance the fronts for the carb inlets and added an ignition switch to tidy the wiring.
ecil.jpg

37wx.jpg

zufq.jpg

These are what I made with sheet metal. Made my side panels,then welded the front parts on to hide the bat.,and wiring.DSC01117.JPG

Attachments

• DSC01114.JPG
    DSC01114.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 215
Guess it's not a zombie thread, I'll throw in. Dzus fasteners work well, and the aluminum panels looked great on the Beast. I killed that bike and am now working on two XSs.

Aluminum panels fastened by 6mm buttonhead screws

Attachments

• aluminum sidecover_1.jpg
    aluminum sidecover_1.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 208
  • 03Nov2013_2.jpg
    03Nov2013_2.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 186
Played around with my side panels a bit last week. Took the panels that were on the bike and cut out pieces with the dremel, then cut out perforated 16ga steel panels to fit behind. Held in place with pop rivets.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 173
Made mine from perforated steel sheet..

Attachments

• C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_temporary_zps96b02e35.jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_temporary_zps96b02e35.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 201
  • WP_20140920_004.jpg
    WP_20140920_004.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 156
Made a start on side panels with cardboard - several attempts to get a good fit prior to the MDF.
Also made up a mild steel mount for battery box and electrics, using the standard rubber mounts.
next - time to weld on dzus tabs and line everything up - a few other pics of little projects too...
panel4.jpg

panel1.jpg

managed to take apart the speedo and install a green and blue led for neutral and hi beam.
panel2.jpg

Found a very neat switch control that handles lights, kill switch and horn - originally fitted to KTM 450EXC & 520s around 2005. I have part numbers and wiring into XS650 if anyone is interested - cost around £35.00 inclusive.
panel3.jpg

That's what we use. Redneck CAD. Cardboard Aided Design.

Back