Master Cylinder Angle on Clip-On Bars.....New Master Cylinder Ideas if Needed.

EvenmoreXS

1981 XS650
Reaction score
I installed some new clip-on bars......that look sweet i might add..... and my front brakes have gone squishy. I have not bled them yet because I have a question first....even if i go through with that, will my master cylinder be a problem at the angle its at? Do I need one of the M/C's that have the cup thats angle adjustable? If so, please provide me some options....if you can....I've been looking but its been hard to decide which one will work with my dual disk's. Looking for 16mm bore but they dont all specify exact bore size.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks Everyone.

Attachments

• 20140622_215736.jpg
    20140622_215736.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 734
  • 20140622_215819.jpg
    20140622_215819.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 361
Last edited:
How about a beautiful new 'brombo.' Haha:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Brombo-Forged-Radial-Front-Brake-Master-Cylinder-16MM-Dimension-/221410182107?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item338d1343db&vxp=mtr
I actually am thinking of getting one of these, as it has the remote reservoir and I like the look of radials. I already have a chinese ebay master cylinder that isn't a radial, like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Motorcycle-Front-Right-Brake-Master-Cylinder-Grey-fits-7-8-Handlebars-/161341844397?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2590b92bad&vxp=mtr

I have a '76 which originally used 16mm bore, and it works well. I changed the bracket out for a hardware store angle bracket so that I could change how the reservoir sat.

Yup, that one you posted is the one I have. Works well on my early caliper, not sure how it would be with the later. Maybe someone else could chime in, but I think you would use a smaller bore as you only have one piston instead of the two on the early calipers.

Just noticed you said you had dual disks. I think that would work then, as it's two pistons, like a single early caliper? Again, just what I've gleaned from reading about them, someone may know better.

Yea, just not sure of the dual disk vs. two single calipers....I think a 16mm bore would work fine but this doesnt say what the bore is. Based on your usage it MAY work......

Id really like a set....clutch/brake..... matched....Chrome would be best with the adjustable cup reservoir.

How about the angle of the reservoir.??? I have a feeling it needs to be more level....

but it isnt comfortable in that position with these bars, thats why Im looking at options.

Yeah, I used the metal bracket that the cylinder came with, and just changed the angle (fluid level) by bending it with my hands. It's aluminum, not much resistance. You want to only do this once though... I over-corrected and after about a thousand miles I think the vibes worked at where I stressed the metal and it snapped. Easy fix with a steel bracket from the hardware store, and that one will hold up to bending a lot better.

Your clip-ons are angled back and down too much. Take it for a few rides and you'll see. You're going to have to hang on tight to the grips or the wind is going to blow your hands back and right off. That gets very tiring very quickly.

The stock MC off a Special has an angled reservoir and may work better than what you have, although it's difficult to tell what you have from the rear angled pics.

Bars are on, not exactly where they will be. They are angled down a bit naturally.

Levers feel better aiming down a bit vs. level....with these bars.....but thats on the rack...haven't ridden it yet.

Here is a pic of my MC lid....had a question about the brake fluid too....will it be fine...see pic.....

I think there is something about the 2 screw lid that identifies it if I remember correctly.....

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• 20140625_191319.jpg
    20140625_191319.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 215
  • 20140625_191301.jpg
    20140625_191301.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 208
That fluid will be fine, as long as you have dot 3 or 4 in there now. If you have dot 5 (silicone based), the system will need to be drained and flushed.

Your current MC appears to have been swapped out already. That's not a stock XS650 unit. As I mentioned, the Special MC may be what you're looking for. Here's some pics, note the way the reservoir mounts at an angle .....

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/yamaha/yamaha_xs650_specila 78.htm

Thanks 5twins. Very good info. Not sure whats in there now but it calls for dot 3 as you can see. I don't want to assume the PO did that so A full flush may be in order. Im not sure how to visibly tell 3/4 from dot 5.

How about my issue with dual disk with single pistons vs. 1 single disk with dual pistons…..would the same MC work for both….?????? See the one I have above. Pslaughter says it works for his single disk with dual pistons…..but it doesn't say the bore size…..

Opinion…?

I've been scanning the bleed guide too……..doesnt say anything about dual disk, but I could have missed it. Only shows bleeding using 1 nipple…..will this work find for my dual's seeing as how the system shares the fluid…

thanks everyone

I bleed the far side (left) first when bleeding dual disc setups. You will have to do both calipers.

Go with DOT4. Very doubtful it has 5 in it.

I have tried single and dual disk combos and went through a couple of masters. This is best setup, Brembo 15RCS Master and single caliper. You get modern braking power.

photo6.jpg

DSCN0525.jpg

Using stock Yamaha parts, If you use the older two piston calipers, a single set up the 16 mm is a bit big, it will work but the later 14 mm will work better. With a dual set up the 16 mm may be ok.
I have not personally ran these two set ups.
Using the later single piston caliper, a single set up works very well with a 10 or 11 mm master.
A dual The later 14mm master works well. I have this set up on both my 75 and 81. Very good brakes. I plan on getting a 10 or 11 mm master and running a single set up. Just to compare.
Using a dual single piston caliper set up and a 16 mm master, I ran that for awhile and can't recommend it. Very hard lever pull and little braking.
Leo

Wish I knew what I had so Id know what to look for…..Sounds like I may want a 14mm. Didn't have brake problems before the switch, and they still work fine, just squishy….

I'll keep doing more research….

But... if you have a dual front disk system with the late model single piston calipers….Please let me know what you are running and if your happy.

thanks everyone.

Back