Master cylinder identification and a few questions

section8joe

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
8374129975_f22ac0fcca_z.jpg

8375204154_dfc41e7fa0_z.jpg

I have an 83 heritage special and I'm looking to add single front brake line instead of the two piece with a junction. My front brake is stock and I'm trying to use this small master cylinder. Does anyone recognize it? I got it from a friend and I'm not sure of the bore size. The banjo bolt thread size is an M8 1.25.
Can you guy tell me what size banjo bolt the front caliper uses? It look a little larger then a m8. I think it may be a m10.

I guess I'd like these five questions answered.

Will this mc work?
What size bore is the mc?
What size is the caliper banjo bolt?
Will I be alright using an m8 banjo on the mc if the caliper uses a larger banjo. Bolt?
Can I just install a banjo bolt Brake switch to activate the brake light with this mc?

Thanks guys!:)

Usually on the bottom of the casting there's a bore size. Under the res or by the fluid bolt area. Most times in mm and sometimes in inches.

If no markings, then you need to take it apart and measure the bore . As far as the banjo bolts, the size difference beteen the master cylinder and caliper makes no difference.
Finding an 8 mm x 1.25 banjo bolt may be hard enough but finding one with a switch in it may be impossible. At least for a reaszonable price.
I would just get an 11 mm M/C that uses an 10 mm x 1.50 banjo bolt. those are easy to find with a switch, and work great. I have one on the rear brake, been working fine for years.
Leo

Back