Master cylinder which to buy

toddr513

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
does any1 have an opinion (which im sure you do:D) about which master cylinders to use or not to use
info: 1975 single caliper, running euro bars and want the lowest profile master cylinder i can buy something with a brake light switch, and i want to run just a single line from master to caliper

1.)I see mikes has some, dont know what those would be like
2.)There are 25 dollar ones from china, worth it? or are they crap?
3.)I really like hughs and would love to support him cause he does a lot, but i want to use original lever that has the finger ridges in them and dont know if that will work with his

....any thoughts

does any1 have an opinion (which im sure you do:D) about which master cylinders to use or not to use
info: 1975 single caliper, running euro bars and want the lowest profile master cylinder i can buy something with a brake light switch, and i want to run just a single line from master to caliper

1.)I see mikes has some, dont know what those would be like
2.)There are 25 dollar ones from china, worth it? or are they crap?
3.)I really like hughs and would love to support him cause he does a lot, but i want to use original lever that has the finger ridges in them and dont know if that will work with his

....any thoughts

Do you really think they can build a reliable M/C for 25 dollars? Someone posted recently about having a new M/C from Mikesxs....................it was defective right out of the box.

I recommend you avoid buying brake parts that are made in China/Taiwan. Mikesxs buys their products from Taiwan I believe.

Since your life could be at stake, its best to buy a quality brand name that you trust. That's why I recently bought a Brembo front master cylinder. I bought it from Bevelheaven.com. It has a brake switch, its low profile, and it has a left hand thread for the mirror, which is the same as Yamaha stock M/C's.

Its important that you buy the correct size piston bore on a M/C. It needs to be matched according to the piston size of your caliper, in order to have the correct feel/control.
www.650central.com has a side business called Vintage Brakes. Go to his web site and find the Vintage Brake page.....................it has a table that helps you select the right size M/C and cailper size.

I thought they might be crappy, ill check all that out, had no idea about using same piston size to match caliper, knew id find my answer from someone

I thought they might be crappy, ill check all that out, had no idea about using same piston size to match caliper, knew id find my answer from someone

No, you are not trying to match the M/C piston to the same caliper piston size. You are trying to use the correct ratio of M/C piston area to the caliper piston area. Here is the link:
http://www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm

I bought one of those cheap $27 Master Cylinders. It was advertised as fitting the XS400 /Xs650 and some others.
It looks very much like the stock Yamaha unit. The cover has different writing, it's not as well polished before the paint or powder coat was applied but it's not bad. The stock lever fits. It can't use the stock return spring.
It's a 14 mm bore which by my experimenting will work well with your two piston caliper, much better than the stock 16mm bore.
On the one piece line you need to get an adapter that fits in your caliper on one end and has the AN-3 fitting on the other. Might even find one local. The caliper has a 10 mm by 1.00 thread. I'll post a pic.
This lets you use any braided line. In the pic the lower end screws into the caliper, the line threads onto the upper end. The ones from Mike's, you would unscrew one of the banjo bolt fitting and thread it onto the adapter.
There is a guy on here that has one piece lines all made up to fit the early calipers. Can't recall his name.
Leo

Attachments

• $T2eC16F,!)!E9s2f!GpkBRqVT3tlpg~~60_1.jpg
    $T2eC16F,!)!E9s2f!GpkBRqVT3tlpg~~60_1.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 130
I didn't say you were using two calipers. I said in my last post "your two piston caliper" The 75 used a two piston caliper. All the years from 72 up to 76 used a two piston caliper. In 77 they started using the single piston caliper.
Leo

Back