Matt's First mechanical endeavor. I'm hoping for the best!!!

Also, it was good that I did take the engine out. As it so happens, I was missing the bottom engine mounting bolt. That might have turned ugly in the future. Yay for being an impatient rookie!!! :D

Matt good to hear your not upset about the pulling the bike apart. Sorry to hear about the divorce. Human personal relationships do not work out all the time thats a fact. I know about divorce not an easy time for shure. By the way my name is john. I'am 67 old enough to be your grandfather. I don't know him personally he was a lucky man to have a grandson like you. You are a very fine fellow and a dam good mechanic my opinion. You are not my grandson but if I had one like you I would be proud. I don't spell words all that good and thats ok with me.I am telling you this not because spelling seem to be important to some. The reason I am telling you this is because I care about you and Even though what I am saying might not help you it is helping me at this moment in time. :yikes: The lawyer here is how my visit went. I knew my wifes lawyer he was a dam good one. He went for Broke me of course. To put it in baseball terms the score wife 4 me 0. The third strike was me out of the house. I was getting clobbered What to do? What to say? Somewhere between strike 5 or 6 a light bulb went off in my head. I've got it the truth. Tell him what I was thinking by that Time. I was in the duggout I got up from one Knee Leaned over the table And said in a normal speaking no signs of malice The only thing you are going to get this woman is killed. I tossed an under hand pitch THE SCREWBALL.

Matt as a new member to this site your thread was one of the first that popped up when I did a search for some of the problems of my own that I'm trying to solve. This whole 650 thing was new territory for me and though I'm mechanically inclined I tend to chicken out when its something I haven't torn into before. Your thread is definitely an inspiration to get me to tear into my junk and getting it running right, thanks for the motivation and good luck !

I got everything back together this past weekend :D While doing so though, I decided to put the two piece clutch spring screws on.

Problem 1) When I had the case cover off,
2012-09-30131218_zps25e69712.jpg

I noticed a broken little spring lying at the bottom of the pan :wtf: It only took a moment to realize where it belonged;

nospringarrow_zpseaa6e466.jpg
2012-09-30131253_zps2363dc90.jpg

there is a little wheel that is supposed to be held into a slot behind the clutch.

A trip to the hardware store and the auto parts store and I was set to reassemble.

Problem 2) When I pulled the engine off of the frame, I saw that I was missing the #3 (from the clymer manual) mounting bolt (the small one that sits about 4:00 when looking at it from the left). I was also missing the nut on the bottom (#4 from clymer) mounting bolt. I replaced the nuts, but I am thinking that I might order some new bolts and lock nuts online some point in the near future due to the fact that it is IMPOSSIBLE:banghead: to find 10mm hex bolts in anything longer than 40mm.

After putting it together, I went for a ride :bike:. A little tuning, and it seemed to be working fairly well.

Concern 1) My timing is a little wonky:confused:. I had to spin the pamco so far clockwise that I couldn't put the bottom screw in.

Concern 2 [worse of the 2]) I have a TERRIBLE:yikes: flat spot any time I try to increase the throttle. It's fine when cruising at a steady pace, but there is no such thing as a sudden burst of power anymore. I had my carbs sitting outside for roughly a month and a half with blue shop towel stuffed in every orifice. Could it still have gotten some dirt or something in it?

One thing that I did right this time around is put in the correct oil. Valvoline 20w 40 motorcycle oil. Before I had the 10w 50 in because it said it was for a wet clutch. My clutch has NEVER worked so well. To think all because of the oil:doh:

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Last edited:
I'll definitely drive myself insane trying to get that engine off the frame and back on again. That was a fucking bitch!

Question of the day: can one adjust their cam chain slightly without removing the engine from the frame?
Yes!...
its possible to tear down and rebuild your engine without breaking the cam chain... so yes
Have you checked to see if your timing is definitely out first ?

This is an excerp from Dr Rod's excellent tear down, appraisal and rebuild where he leaves the camchain connected.

http://www.mikesxs.net/xs650engine/Part2.html

18. According to my workshop manuals it is necessary to split the camchain at this stage, and rivet it up again during re-assembly. I have an aversion to riveting camchains, preferring to use an endless chain when possible, so I decided to see how far I could strip the engine without splitting the camchain. The camshaft is supported on two pairs of hefty roller bearings, one pair at each side, and with the camchain tensioner removed there's enough slack in the chain to slide the bearings off the ends of the camshaft. With the bearings clear the camchain easily unhooks from the cam drive sprocket, and the camshaft can be lifted free.
19. Now the remaining three small bolts holding the head to the barrels can be removed, and the cylinder head lifted clear. Note the big screwdriver I've slid into place to stop the camchain dropping into the crankcase as I lift the head clear.

Last edited:
fishhat,

Please check to see if in fact your cam chain is out a tooth before you go tearing down the engine. Just because I suggested that it could be don't make it so...:shrug:

I went through and attempted to properly diagnose the timing / cam chain issue. I picked up a dial indicator and set it and my degree wheel up.
2012-10-09213924_zpscb244cb7.jpg

2012-10-09214025_zps6a70d15b.jpg

2012-10-09213858_zpsbaaa63f6.jpg

It appears that my intake valve is opening up at 71 degrees bTDC.
2012-10-09213821_zps6e1ed991.jpg

I believe that this means that (assuming that the measurement is off slightly) I am actually off by two teeth on the cam chain.

All of that being said, when I look at the pin on the advance, it appears to be at either 12 or 6 o'clock when it's at TDC:confused:

I suppose this would be a prime example of why it's better to actually degree the cam as opposed to just eyeballing it.

Time to pull the engine again:banghead:

Is there an important reason that the stock exhaust pipes are connected to each other beneath the bike? It looks like it is purely a connection pipe, and if that is the case, I would like to cut it. Let me know what you think.

If the pin is at 12 or 6. I would think it would be close. Did you set the valves to .012 in and follow the procedure in the manual. I would run it thru a couple of times and make shore it is that far off. I would not cut the balance pipe on the stock exhaust.

you could have done that easy without using a dial indicator. If the advancer pin is at 6 or 12 while the rotor mark is at the "T" then your timing is on. if not then its off.

When have I ever been one or the "easy" way of things? I prefer to go to extreme unnecessary lengths to fix the simple things.

Hint....... The cam chain has a master link.........u just have to know how to make it accessible without turning the crank :). And your carbs throttle plates are out of sync if one side pops and it idles high

Posted via Mobile

Dam it's been a long time since I've been on. An update... I got the timing squared away. The cam chain was not off (thank god I didn't pull the engine again). I installed Hughes solid riser bushings, and they did make the front end noticeably more stable (thank you Hugh!), I replaced both the front and rear brakes. I have the gear to do a full front suspension overhaul (new springs, seals, the bronze damper valves from MikesXS, and all of the tools necessary to tear into them. I don't know if I have the energy to do it though; I've had these parts for months now, and I just haven't been able to get down to installing them. I'm starting school again the first of August, and I won't have time to do any work on the bike. I am starting to believe that it should go to a new home where it can get the attention that it deserves. I'm going to float the idea of selling her, and see if I get any interest. What do you think; could I get $1500?

Hi matt it has been awhile. $1500 seems like a fair price in your part of the country. You can try the classified on site but it seems like people on here are not willing to pay the price. I have seen some nice bikes on site not sell. It might be better to advertise it local. I would put a for sale sign on it. Hope your Lawyer visit went well and you didn't get raked over the coals. The screwball pitch worked for me. My X wife and I worked out a deal without the lawyer. It was about a year later after one last try to make a go of it. I gave her the house and contents and walked with a smile on my face and a small cardboard box full of my personal possessions. Free at last. :D:

Back