Max Front Wheel Size

Adrenaline-Junkie

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Whats the max front wheel size that could be used on a stock xs650? Are there any companies out there that make something larger than a 21" that will fit an xs hub? Hoping to do 23" but wasnt sure how practical it is with current available options on the market. Thanks!

It can be done, just need the right hole count/spoke pattern on the rim. The pricey part will be getting spokes which you'll probably have go to Buchanans to get. That being said you could always run a different hub on a prebuilt wheel and make spacers. Jay at Jump Street put one on his build at one point, here's a visual.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458439423.604723.jpg

Thanks. Yeah, at this point im trying to weigh out my options for both front and rear wheel sizes. Are there any places out there that make 23" rims with the proper count and spoke pattern for XS hubs? I figured id have to go to buchanan for spokes.

Even if i could find undrilled 23 inch rims buchanan can drill and spoke them. Id like to keep both the front and rear brakes. I know that complicates things. How hard is it to use a different style wheel with spacers? Doesnt that make brake options more difficult? I feel like this is going to be harder than expected but i suppose thats how good things always work.

If you could find undrilled that would be ideal to fit it to an xs hub, considering you want front brakes. The difficulty of using a different wheel depends on your skill set or access to a skilled person with a lathe. If going with a disc brake you would more than likely have to redo brake caliper tabs on the forks, which requires a skilled tig welder. If going drum brake then it becomes a little easier, making spacers and fabbing a brake stay to fit the forks. Mind you this is all for using a different model wheel.

Wanted to post before I lost my train of thought. So to continue, the other thing to consider is axle size. An alt wheel may not accept a 17mm bearing size, so at the least a bearing swap and boring of the brake plate may be neccesary. The truth is this, it's a lot easier to adapt a wheel to work without brakes than it is with. But it's all completely doable if you want to put the work in.

Yeah, i may just have to suck it up and not use a front brake for a while. I wish the front was as easy as the rear. lol

I know what rims will work but they arent always easy to come by nor are they cheap.

I've done the 21" with an xs hub, probably around $350 to do everything to get it done right, including tire.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458446657.953452.jpg
If you want a front brake you probably should, this is no sales pitch but I do have a 21" drum brake wheel I'm selling. It's not listed here by the way.
It's not set up for an xs.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458446757.648544.jpg
If you're really set on doing a 23" you can, just save your pennies, haha.

It's fairly common to lace a 23" hoop off the front of a late 70s Honda dirtbike (xl250, I think?) to an xs650 36 spoke front hub. That way you can retain your factory brakes, or even upgrade to a front Brembo with the Pandemonium bracket kit.

And I know folks have run the same hoop on the rear of an xs650. There's a member on here named plane_ben who built a bike with 23s front and rear. The thread is here: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23725

Another option is to order a 23" spoked wheel from DNA. It is set up for a Harley axle, but if I remember right, Pandemonium makes spacers to adapt it to an xs front end. It's not on his website, though, you'll have to call him. Brakes might be a little trickier to set up with this option.

There's another member on this forum, I think his user name is Patches, who did a boardtrack style bike with dual 23s. He just sold it last year. Maybe he has a build thread, i don't know.

The only issue I could see, and this is if by chance you wanted to do the Brembo upgrade from Pandemonium, is how steep the spokes would be on a 23". I have that kit and clearance on my 21" is tight! Just throwing that out there.

Yeah, the front brake is honestly the least of my concern with my build.

Last question before i start pulling the trigger on parts. Anyone have experience with tires for 23 inch rims? I need more street oriented tires and it looks like most out there are more meant for off road riding. The only exception ive found to that are pirellis.

Anyone else out there have suggestions?

Avon makes one, but its recommended for a wider rim than the old 23" dirtbike wheels you can find. I know a member on here did have one mounted up, but I can't remember who it was. So it's possible to mount it... Just not recommended.

Back