Max Front Wheel Size

Been thinking about this, it would require some research. But you may be able to find a 23" rim set up that already works with 35mm forks. I had looked into doing this. For example the xl250 utilized 35mm forks and had a 21" drum wheel. I know your set on doing the 23", but you may be able to find a wheel/fork combo that has a 23" wheel and 35mm forks and just swap those forks into your xs for a direct fit. At least that way you wouldn't have to make spacers and figure out a brake set up on your xs forks.

Been thinking about this, it would require some research. But you may be able to find a 23" rim set up that already works with 35mm forks. I had looked into doing this. For example the xl250 utilized 35mm forks and had a 21" drum wheel. I know your set on doing the 23", but you may be able to find a wheel/fork combo that has a 23" wheel and 35mm forks and just swap those forks into your xs for a direct fit. At least that way you wouldn't have to make spacers and figure out a brake set up on your xs forks.

Then the issue would be proper span between the legs. If swapping the entire front end is an option, a steering stem swap might be the way to go. I just put a drum brake, 21-inch wheel and dirtbike front end on my Rebel 250 lanesplitter project using this method. Basically you grind down the steering stem welds on the lower trees of you xs650 front end, and donor front end. Then press the stems out using a shop press. Then press the stem from your xs650 into the donor lower tree and reweld. The process is detailed here: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30169

Point is, he has tons of options :thumbsup:

Then the issue would be proper span between the legs. If swapping the entire front end is an option, a steering stem swap might be the way to go. I just put a drum brake, 21-inch wheel and dirtbike front end on my Rebel 250 lanesplitter project using this method. Basically you grind down the steering stem welds on the lower trees of you xs650 front end, and donor front end. Then press the stems out using a shop press. Then press the stem from your xs650 into the donor lower tree and reweld. The process is detailed here: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30169

Point is, he has tons of options :thumbsup:

You're right, I overlooked that important detail. I've still got lots to learn. [emoji23][emoji106]

So, new problem. Tires for 23X1.6 rims are almost non existent. Anyone know of anything even remotely streetable in that size? Ive only been able to find one dual sport tire in the 3.00-23 size and thats the Bridgestone trail wing.

Last edited:
Pulled the trigger on some 23 X 1.6 s6 spoke rims. Hopefully everything goes together smoothly. lol

Ive thought it over a lot and i dont see why a front disk and rear drum brake wont work properly but ive never tried this before so it may be a learning experience.

Got my rims and i cant wait to get them cleaned and up and laced to some xs hubs. Def not a lot of clearance in the rear with a stock length swingarm. Good thing ill be using some extensions from Ranger!

Hi
I think the original xl250 or 500 had a 23" 36 spoke
I have one in the garage I wil check
Harley has a Dunlop 23" road tyre

Back