Measuring cylinders and heads for stock readings

TXA Phoenix

TX650A Phoenix
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to do measurements and what the values should be on a 1974 TX650A to determine if the cylinders or heads have had any milling done to them. I am thinking the cylinder sleeves would need to be measured but I don't know their stock length. Or what the distance between the cylinder fins and head fins should be to determine if any milling has been done?

For the cylinder Id drop in down on the motor with pistons installed,but no rings or base gasket to make life simple.Then check how far down in the bore the highest piston sits.you should be able to figure out how thick of a base gasket you need that way.
As far as the head goes do you see any signs of milling/surfacing on gasket surface?
I suppose you could always cc the combustion chambers with a set of greased up valves to check volume.:wink2:

I am now realizing my cylinders are stock in length. I had the cylinder head rebuilt a long time ago but I don't think it was milled to a great extent maybe just resurfaced. But I don't know how much cutting that would involve. The change being that it affects valve timing. I'm thinking rather than guessing I'll have to get a degree wheel and reset the cam sprocket. I'm also looking for a crankshaft sprocket for the cam chain.

completely assy motor and squash solder between head and piston on each cylinder while rolling motor over. Then you can do the same with in and ex valves ex. Measure the where the solder flatened and you'll come up with a rough guess what compression ratio is and what gas to run etc.
Truth is I wouldn't be concerned about it since you've been running it and you would've already seen an issue. Plus, any competent motor builder wouldn't mill on a street four stroke without engraving the work.

completely assy motor and squash solder between head and piston on each cylinder while rolling motor over. Then you can do the same with in and ex valves ex. Measure the where the solder flatened and you'll come up with a rough guess what compression ratio is and what gas to run etc.
Truth is I wouldn't be concerned about it since you've been running it and you would've already seen an issue. Plus, any competent motor builder wouldn't mill on a street four stroke without engraving the work.

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like a good method. Measuring the valve to piston clearances from the impressed solder (or other material) and then seeing where they are compared to the standard measurement value should let me know which way to go for head and base gasket thickness.

Back