megacycle 250 30 cam streetable or not?

snap124

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I bought a 750 top end that came with a 250 30 magacycle cam. I was wondering has anyone used one of these cams on the street. The head I got with the top end is ported and polished with short guides and set up to run this cam. My next? the cylinders are 80mm and what piston choices do I have running this cam.
447 motor.

Last edited:
Does it look like this one, trying to work out what it is I'm running, if it is a 250 30 I would say it depends on what your riding style is like and where you are riding, mine seems ok at low speeds but wouldn't like to go too far with it, not sure about sustained low speed plus I run dellorto's so when I open it up it pumps fuel in and disguises any lagg that would be there.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 272
looks close . My cam has 250 30 34 stamped on it 34 for the gear tooth. My riding style is in the upper rpm range .

If you run above 4500 you'll like it. Not so much under that..it also makes a difference what else you are running with it.

Attachments

• johnson.jpg
    johnson.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 362
When I took my engine apart last winter I had a crack running through the middle of the exhaust valve,
I also find it very erratic when just above tick over seems to jump from 2000 to 4000 revs with only marginal throttle difference, my cam only has the very small stamps on the end a date stamp and a c

I bought a 750 top end that came with a 250 30 magacycle cam. I was wondering has anyone used one of these cams on the street. The head I got with the top end is ported and polished with short guides and set up to run this cam. My next? the cylinders are 80mm and what piston choices do I have running this cam.
447 motor.

I know of a few that didn't care for that cam,not very street friendly. If the center lines were ground on a 108 to reduce the overlap, you'd have a friendlier hot street cam.

I am still looking for a set of pistons for the top end I got. it came with a set of venolia 12.5:1 pistons 22mm wrist pin. not gonna use those. I am trying to get rid of those pistons .The cylinders are 80 mm trying to find a set of pistons for my big bore that are not 10:1 and cam that will build a solid motor. I want a little more power than my stock motor, better throttle response and to lose the feeling that I am running outta throttle on the highway .I saw in the classifieds where a guy was selling a rephased 256 crank and cam ,thought about putting that in my 447 cases. I am not hurting to build this motor I have a stock one in my bike . Just trying to get the right parts to start building the this motor. :bike:

I am still looking for a set of pistons for the top end I got. it came with a set of venolia 12.5:1 pistons 22mm wrist pin. not gonna use those. I am trying to get rid of those pistons .The cylinders are 80 mm trying to find a set of pistons for my big bore that are not 10:1 and cam that will build a solid motor. I want a little more power than my stock motor, better throttle response and to lose the feeling that I am running outta throttle on the highway .I saw in the classifieds where a guy was selling a rephased 256 crank and cam ,thought about putting that in my 447 cases. I am not hurting to build this motor I have a stock one in my bike . Just trying to get the right parts to start building the this motor. :bike:

A 256 rephased crank, and cam would give you a 10mm longer rod, and probably spread the power out a little better '70 to '72 also had a cam that was quite a bit hotter than anything after 72, ples it will work with stock valvetrain. The bad is you will need to buy over sized pistons for the '70 to '72 motor (256 motor).

I have pistons for your 256, as well as Shell #1 cams , they come 10.5-1 we can cut them down and lower the CR, email me gary@hoosracing.com if interested. If you have good pump gas at 90+ we have had good results running even the 10.5-1 , Gary

this is a old thread but in case anyone is still intrested iv a hiedens cam which is equivalent to 250-30 which is also rephrased ,found it to be a good street cam giving good power across the range but no real cam ompth,got in touch with hiedens and he replied the ompth came in at about 8000 revs BUT have found it very user friendly for my on road riding anyway just thought id give a update...edit ,sorry been a long day mine is equivalent to 250-20 not 250-30 but the rest is accurate as to how iv found it

Last edited:
Heidens cam is more like an xs1 cam or a 250-20, they are certainly nothing special, the valve springs they sell I doubt would cope with a 250-30 cam, if you look at the dyno sheet above from Hoos you'll find power starts to drop off at 8000 revs, which is somewhere about what I find with mine,

You could make it better down low to ride on the street if you left the stock valves size and cleaned up the ports some.. ours had 1.5mm larger valves ported Axtell Head. Gary

Longer manifolds, advance cam timing,flat slide carbs, head port volumes and header balance tube will also aid
in making that cam more street friendlier. But Gary nailed it,retain stock valve dimensions but with thicker valve margins.

Back