Melted Breaker Points

Our wonderful Western culture is getting diluted by millions of economic migrants who are frequently anti-British , have no respect for our History and don't learn out language or integrate despite what the Liberals claim . :rolleyes: so I tend react to negative comments about England.
I'm worried about the dilution of German culture too. If it hadn't been for German scientists the thought of going to the Moon might not have seriously occurred to us... For just one tiny example.
OTOH, my family is Palatine German immigrants. Jefferson wrote that their immigration should be barred because they stayed in their groups and didn't learn English or American culture. That turned out okay and I'm a huge fan of Jefferson, besides :) Some immigrants I've known who were so enthusiastic about becoming Americans found Americans not as enthusiastic, which is sad. I think the main problem comes when you look different. In the early 90s I was friends with a Chinese couple who had defected from a government-sponsored tour. Highly educated, but completely naive due to China's isolation in those days. They were upset to discover the concept of white people, black people, yellow people, etc.

If it hadn't been for German scientists the thought of going to the Moon might not have seriously occurred to us... For just one tiny example.
Robert Goddard's first published paper on liquid fueled rockets and space travel was around 1910 iirc....... von Braun was but a twinkle in his dad's eye...

Yep, but you knew I was referring to von Braun (and his crew). And actually he had to be overridden on some early fundamental concepts, iirc, like the necessity of staging. But still, without German expertise I wonder. But maybe I'm just being a chest puffing German ;)

Goddard's first U.S. patent was for a multi-stage rocket. It was issued around 1915. von Braun would have still been in diapers.
There's no doubt that von Braun was a great scientist. The fact is his foundation of rocketry was gained from reading Goddard's work in rocketry. von Braun freely admitted as much himself.

Goddard's first U.S. patent was for a multi-stage rocket. It was issued around 1915. von Braun would have still been in diapers.
There's no doubt that von Braun was a great scientist. The fact is his foundation of rocketry was gained from reading Goddard's work in rocketry. von Braun freely admitted as much himself.
But von Braun (and others) is the one who did it. You can't credit the Wright brothers with the F-35, but it doesn't diminish them.

But von Braun (and others) is the one who did it. You can't credit the Wright brothers with the F-35, but it doesn't diminish them.
It's hard to play when you start moving the goalpost. :rolleyes:
Your initial statement.... "If it hadn't been for German scientists the thought of going to the Moon might not have seriously occurred to us..." is demonstrably false. Goddard not only thought of going to the Moon... he also thought of Mars... and published papers on the subject when the chief German rocketeer was a but mere babe who couldn't yet spell Moon. So yes.... the thought had "seriously occurred" to us long before the German scientists of the day dreamed of it. You can change the goalposts all you want from the "though of" to actually "doing it," but then I never disputed the fact that von Braun actually "did it".... did I?

I've been around the forums here long enough to know that you always have to have the last word... so have at it, I'm done.:D

It's hard to play when you start moving the goalpost. :rolleyes:
Your initial statement.... "If it hadn't been for German scientists the thought of going to the Moon might not have seriously occurred to us..." is demonstrably false. Goddard not only thought of going to the Moon... he also thought of Mars... and published papers on the subject when the chief German rocketeer was a but mere babe who couldn't yet spell Moon. So yes.... the thought had "seriously occurred" to us long before the German scientists of the day dreamed of it. You can change the goalposts all you want from the "though of" to actually "doing it," but then I never disputed the fact that von Braun actually "did it".... did I?

I've been around the forums here long enough to know that you always have to have the last word... so have at it, I'm done.:D
Ok, bye. I'm not going to get personal. But I will say that the thought of going to the Moon very obviously never seriously occurred to Goddard. It was not possible yet... The dream maybe, sure. That started with cavemen.

Authentic Novelty : Never seen a bad fuji filter so I bet that they now are knockoffs.
The current Mikes owners pissed off a lot of suppliers so I bet they are out there
looking for anything as long as it is cheap. Japanese companies have great quality control.
There is such a thing as Taiwan Keihin ( under licence ).

Yes, you knew of the connection. I gave you the link so you would have more detail. Everybody knows there was a connection, few know any details. If the whole idea is revolting to you, I understand. That's why Paperclip was secret.

I like to picture 500 Germans, half of them probably still in full-length leather coats, showing up in Huntsville, Alabama one day. That's a documentary that needs to be made :D

Ding...Ding .... round 2 :)
round 2.jpg

The only part of the points that failed is the plastic insulating bushes the rest is still serviceable

I know this might be a bit off base but why couldn't someone with a lathe turn up a few plastic insulating bushes for points .?
It must be pretty easy and cheap to source some high temperature plastic rods
Vespel 300° C
Torlon 260° C
Ryton 218° C

Mike's got back to me regarding the points. They say they have sold almost 100 with no complaints since receiving this batch in spring . They believe the engine is operating at an abnormal temperature or that a cam bearing failure could be transferring additional heat to the points chamber. I just rebuilt the engine about two months ago and the cam bearings appeared to be fine at the time. Either way, they were very proactive about the situation, issuing me a full refund and will be providing a shipping label to mail them the melted points for examination with the manufacturer.

Good deal. You had me worried the way you started off though, about 100 with no complaints and your engine must be too hot. That reminds me of when Mike himself was in charge years ago.

100 sold with no complaints !... well there can't be anything wrong with them can there :doh:
Well at least they refunded you and are sending them back but to be honest what sort of testing do we expect the supplier to do ? :)

new engines running in might run a little hot under some circumstances I guess,........ but it would surely have been on fire to melt a decent quality high temperature plastic . You could buy one of those cheap Chinese laser infrared digital temperature guns to be certain https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handheld...hash=item23babf4631:m:mCrZUS7qDGzeUyFuQkxePng

I do think you were pushing your bike pretty hard though (sustained 70 mph running on a very hot day). Most of these won't be subjected to something like that.

I'm now seeing how it might be possible to 'warp' a Boyer ignition pcb board through excessive engine heat.;)
It sure does get hot over there
heat.jpg

Back